What pound test? What pound test, main and leader do you use?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Jan 16, 2009.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have not been able to get out on the water in a couple of weeks so no fishing report but a question has passed my mind.

The last trip out Powhatan and I were out and I needed to use some of his gear to retie. He gave me some 60# leader of wich trying to tie with numb fingers was super fun. Just got me thinking sitting here wishing I was fishing:

What pound test, main and leader do you use?

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    40lb mono main line / 60lb mono and lately flouro leader.

Hope you get back out on the water soon. There are always people fishing alone, just post up and I'm sure you could find a seat.

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    25# Big Game main line and 50# Big Game leader. Has worked for me for a long time. Landed many big fish on this combo.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use Berkeley Big Game mono 40 pound mainline. I do different color each year so I know its fresh and big game is good line that's reasonably priced. Quality 200 lb. ball bearing swivel, Berkeley leader material 80 pound test.

5. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    Main line is 65lb power pro with a 60Lb ande mono leader.... never had the first problem with either line...

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    100# power=pro/80#mono leader :wink:

7. hotva29

hotva29 New Member

State:
    va
    i use 30lb p-line,with 80lb power pro leader..

8. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I use 30&40lb momoi diamond high catch mono with 60lb momoi leader .30lb 0n my 6500tcs and 40lb on the 7000i series.

9. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I use 90 lb Stren Superbraid for my main line and3 feet of 60 lb floro leader attached with a 200 lb swivel. For the business end I like a 7/0 Owners circle hook. I really like the Superbraid for it's low stretch...you can feel every head shake and roll from a big cat.

Tight lines.

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I use #100 Power Pro with #80 mono leader

11. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    50lb power pro main and 50lb billfisher leaders

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    This is outstanding information, and very interesting reading. But, you leave me wondering...

Some of you use heavy mainline and lighter leaders. Some of you choose lighter mainline and strong leaders. I bet you use leaders of various lengths, too!

What are your reasons for selecting these line weights?

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I was thinkin' the same thing. Some replies are really weird. I can't imagine using a leader that is stronger in test capacity than the main line. When breaking off due to a snag, ultimately, you want the leader to break BEFORE the main line. I use Power Pro 100# main line, with a 50# monofilament leader. IF my leader strength exceeded my main line strength, I would constantly be losing very valuable braid when breaking off in snags. Can someone please tell me why anyone would want to use a leader that exceeds the main line in strength? Just seems counter productive to me. In these type threads, I have often heard of folks rigging up "backwards", but never heard an explanation why. BTW: I also see a reply with the main line and leader material at the SAME test capacity. That also seems weird. Once again, you want the leader to break BEFORE the main line. On the Carolina rig most folks use, the lead weight is ABOVE the leader. When the leader fails first, the lead weight is saved 100% of the time. I would love to hear any counter points pertaining to rigging up "backwards".

Bill in SC

14. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My main stay is 50lb powerpro with a 20 to 40lb leader, with leader depending on where and how and I am fishing. Leader length is determined by how I want to present the bait, short when fish are aggressive and the longer leader for more of a finesse type presentation ( float added to leader to get bait off bottom, less aggressive fish, clear water etc.). I use the lighter leader so when I get hung up, the leader will break and not the main line, and the leader is all I have to replace. Leader material is less expensive than the power pro so I would rather lose it than the more expensive Power Pro and I don't have to retie a complete terminal end just tie on a new leader and I am back in the water..

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've been using 40lb Mono for my main line and 30lb mono for my leaders. My biggest fish has only been 40lbs though. Haven't had any problems but considering switching to a heavier braid along with a heavier mono leader on my next respooling. Probably like 80/50 in preparation for my new PB...:roll_eyes::wink:

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    for big river flatheads i use the same test main line and leader 25-lb mono.

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Haven't had any problems but considering switching to a heavier braid along with a heavier mono leader on my next respooling. Probably like 80/50 in preparation for my new PB...:roll_eyes::wink:>

Mike, I have 80# PP on one of my reels, but the 100# PP just raises the confidence bar up immensely. Certainly the 80# is worthy, but I prefer the 100#. The 100# just seems to "fit" or, match the 6000/6500 reels just PERFECTLY! :wink: BTW: I think you will be totally impressed with the braid. When you DO switch, I urge you to try the Power Pro. I have found NO flaws or disadvantages with it.

Bill in SC

18. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You're looking at it from the point of view of saving your lead. But those of us who use a heavier leader do so with the thought that the leader takes the most abuse and is the first thing to get rubbed below if/when a fish runs into structure etc... I personally would rather lose terminal tackle and lead than a nice fish. Also, if you're using a lighter leader than your main line, then your main line is only as strong as your weaker leader in terms of fish catching power. I'd say you need to at least have an equal rating on the leader, if not more. I'm sure there are other reasons I'm not pointing out. But you just gotta do what works for you and what you're most confident with. Confidence in your tackle and what you're doing is a big part of the game.

19. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I tried spiderwire on all my reels 18 years ago when it first came out. I used it one season and took it all off. I know plenty of folks that swear by braid. I personally do not like it. Too limp, Backlashes like a Biaaaaachhhh, Frays when rubbed against anything. Zero stretch that impedes circle hooks working correctly,(or so I'm told).

Give me good old tough as nails inexpensive Berkeley big game monofilament.

20. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    WOW.....I run 30lb Power Pro up here in PA for flatheads and actually just ordered enough to line up all the reels for our trip down in March. Looking at some of the poundage the majority of you are using, I'm wondering if I didn't short myself. 80 and 100# main line? Jeez.....I'm running Abu Garcia Records (high capacity models), but I'd imagine 100# would fill up a spool pretty fast. Are you all running heavy offshore reels or something?

In answer to the original question though. I run 30lb power pro main, and 30" power pro leader. My primary reason for a leader is simply so that I can use a swivel to keep out line twist , and it keeps my sinker slide farther up the line. Have had no problems with this rig up to this point....Although....The best fish I've pulled in with it was 30#. Guess we'll see if it gets put to the test in a couple months.