What pound test Of Mono or Braid to you prefer

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Larry, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    What pound test of MONO or SUPER BRAID do you prefer to rig with and why?

Personally I've used 50lb PP for main. and 40lb big game for leader.
    Seems to work for me.

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    20lb suffix braid and 40lb tritanium leader

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use 80# Power-Pro mainline and 100# Ande mono for my leaders and I crimp my eyes onto swivels on one end and snell the hooks.I like the Heavy mono leaders for abrasion resistance and they seem to do ALOT better in HEAVY current than 50# did as far as twisting and kinking!:wink:

4. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I use 65lb power pro, with 50lb leader line, It works great :smile2:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I generally use 17 lb stren, as there is no fish in Oklahoma big enough to break that line unless its frayed. LOL

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use 20# Bass Pro Tight Line mono with 40# Cajun Red leaders.

7. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I use 8# test for main line and leader when going for catfish. With the fish in my area, heavier line would be overkill.

-- Rich

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Alton, if you are fishing where I think you are fishing, you might someday regret spooling up with that itty bitty fishing line!:wink:

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use 20# cajun red line because its so tuff and durable.You more then likely straighten your hook out on a snag rather then break your line.Good stuff

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm fishing where you think I'm fishing, and believe me I have tried to justify using a light weight mono. Fishing from the bank requires a line you can cast for distance. I use ABU 6500 and 7000's and have tried 50# power pro with bad results. I also know when the 129# blue hits my line, the ABU better be spooled with 65# power pro,which it will be. You caught me in fantasy land.

11. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    All my catfish reels have Cajun red high abrasion 30lb. My rigs depends where I am fishing.:big_smile:

12. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    In the surf I use Abu 7500C3CT or a similar open face conventional spooled with 25# Berkely Big Game line and a shock leader from 40# to 80#. Mono cast well with conventional and allows me to change the line whenever I may need to change it.

For plugging then I go with 20# & 30# Fireline with a 30# flurocarbon leader. Fireline is under rated the the breaking strength is much higher than the describe pound test.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like 30# Berkley Big Game with a heavier leader.

14. cj7848

cj7848 New Member

State:
    texas
    20# Ande envy green.

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 100# POWER-PRO & 80# CAJUN-RED mono leader The only way to go for me ! :wink:

16. deadweight_sinkersho

deadweight_sinkersho New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i use 40 pound big game trilene, yep its the green stuff its easy to see where your lines layin and if ya know ur fishin then the 40 pound will handle it..back it up with penn 309s and 6 and a half foot straight stick, well thats just pure paradise

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    River poles have a varitey on them from 100lb braide-to 40 lb mono
    Eventualey they will all have atleast 65lbpower pro on them though-Its the way to go!

18. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    All of my reels are spooled with 50lb Berkley Gorilla Braid except for two spinning reels that have 30lb Berkley Big Game.

19. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I use 20# cajun red for my main line and 25# Stren clear/blue for leader. I haven't even hooked into anything that comes close to breaking this.

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I see no need for anything heavier than 20# Ande on my cat rigs. I think if you know how to set your drag and work a fish its enough. My father in law catches cats from 3 lbs to 80 on 20 lb and I have seen that working a fish from cover is tough ,but not impossible.