What pound test of line should I use?

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by lilrivercatman, May 3, 2007.

1. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What pound of test line should I use for trout. I have an ultralight spinning reel and i always used what was on it but now it is out.

2. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    when i fish for trout here in Il i usualy use the lightest line i can get away with. So 4 or maybe 6 # line would be good. Good luck

3. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i would go 6 if stream fishing but lake fishing or small stream fishing 4

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    No more than 4# to 6# test I would say.

5. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks any good brands?

6. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I used to fish Lake Taneycomo in southwest Missouri. There, I used 4# when they were running water and put a 2# leader(2ft long) if they weren't running water through the dam. I used stren mono.

Good Luck

7. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    There is a bit of a trade to be made between price and performance. The cheapest line I have found is Shakepeare Optiflex, which has worked out reasonably well for me, but I have to be careful to strip off the first 6' of line and retie the swivel after every trip. Also, I have to replace the leaders after each trip.

I've also used Cajun Red Cast, 6#. While it appears to be more durable, I still have to be careful to monitor lines and knots for fraying. I prefer using this for my main line so that I can see the line.

-- Rich

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    First off i completly agree as far as line weight . now as far as type or brand i have found that i have great luck by comparison with flourocarbon
    pro by seagaur it has icreased my catch rate by leaps and bounds . I mean lets face it stealth is a big part of trout fishing flourocarbon is invisible , now i normally just fill my spool , but its not to cheap but more than mono so you could use it for leaders i guess , and becuase its invisible you can use 6lb. test comfortably .

Good luck and good fishing

Chris

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Four to six pounds is all I use for any trout trip, Why are you using swivels anyway, I always just tie hooks and lures to the main line. Im using berkely low vis line.

Wheelmobile07

10. joe23280

joe23280 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i myself prefer 6# line and the brand i use is berkley vanish brand. it hasnt failed me yet!!!

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Power Pro green....80# test....works for me!!:cool2:

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i use 10# test...might seem like a little much but hey it gets the job done

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    If I am fishing a river with many bolders and snags etc. I like to use 4 to 6 lb, mostly the 4 lb for casting rooster tails of 1/4 oz size. If I am trying to get trout in a lake or high mountain pond I'll drop down to 2 lb because of the clear water and sometimes even drop to a 1lb leader when throwing a bubble and fly on a spinning pole.

bayrunner ray

14. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I use from 2-6 lb. test line depending more on your presentation or lure choice than fish size. HTH

15. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have never used anything over 4# but i usually try to fish with 2# that way they cant see it and is the drag is set right then it will land 99% of all you trout

16. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Only hooked one trout that broke my 4lb test in my life.

Wheelmobile07

17. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I always use 2lb berkley trilene XT when I trout fish. I set the drag a little loose at first but I've rarely had trout break off. I even landed a 9lb carp on it while trout fishing one day. Just remember when using lighter lines always check for nicks or kinks in your line after fighting and landing a fish. Well I guess you should always do this anyway but even more so with lighter lines.

18. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    There is only a couple of trout impoundments for year round fishing but I only use 4# and it is Berkley. I have had great experiances with it and have caught some over 6lbs in running water with no problem. Good luck with whatever you decide to use.

19. kastmaster

kastmaster New Member

State:
    California
    always use #4 for lakes and stuff and if you use a liter to attach the hook use #4. i also use #4 for lures, but #6 never works for me