what percent of meat yielded from Catfish you catch and eat?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Fatkat, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I was wondering what % of meat you all yield from Catfish you clean. I seem to get about 25%. Is that close to what you all average?

If there is another thread on this subject, sorry I couldn't find one. :smile2:

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I think 25% is a pretty accurate guess.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    theres not much left when im done! only meat left would be on the head. i only eat channels from very clean waters so i get every bit of meat i can. for me i'd say 85% (if i understand the question correctly)

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I hate to waste also and don't think I do, but I have to agree with the 25 percent! I know that the pile of filets is'nt any where near as big as the pile of heads, stomach, and bones!

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    25% sounds right to me.:confused2:

6. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Rusty ,you get 100% , Eat 25%, Tomatoes gets 75%..........remember. hu

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well skin ,guts and bones are not meat, So i get all but the very little meat in the head. So as for eatable meat I would say 90% If you go by the weight of the fish I would say on a 3 lb fish 35 %, But this is something i will check out next time i clean some.

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I agree with Tim on this one. If your talking weight of meat vs weight of live fish. Like Tim I get all the usable meat from a catfish except what's on teh head and I even get meat from the head on a flathead if its over 5lbs. I estimate that once the fat and red is removed, about 35%.

9. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I guess I should of said the weight of the fillets compared to the wieght of the fish before cleaning, Example 4lb. fish = 1lb fillets. I thought it would higher than 25%, I was surprised. I try not to waste any meat either.

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    for me the size of the fish really plays a part.

i fillet all kitties that i keep. If there are 3-4 lbs and under i only get the meat from the rib cage to the tail. For bigger fish i go at the shoulder meat. I first fillet the same meat from the rib cage to the tail, then i cut down, from above, the back bone and follow the rib cage out to the lateral line...this is some very nice fish, after cuttin the yellow flesh out! YUM! :002:

cyas
    rc