What part of the Arkansas River do you fellows fish?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Grits, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    When fishing the Arkansas River, what part of the river do you usually fish? Right below the dam, wing dikes, bars, or all of the above.

Also, do any of ya'll every fish the Mississippi?

Thanks,

Grits

2. CharlieD

CharlieD New Member

State:
    Lincoln,Ar
    When the water is calm enough,I use my RC bait boat tight in front of the gates where most people can't get to "Legally". There are some nice ones in there if you can get to them.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Living in Little Rock, we sometimes go over to Murray L&D for a couple or three hours of fishing, but I've never been very impressed with the fishing there, although some folks seem to do quite well. When we lived in Atkins, I fished the Arkansas from Dardanelle to Morrilton a LOT; and fished the nuclear plant outlet except when the water got too warm. Now, that's too far to get to very often, what with gas prices being what they are (100 miles to the nookie plant, one way, from my house). These days, I like to go out from Toadsuck. We generally start catching fish while still in sight of the boat ramp, and the fishing just gets better the further down around Bigelow we get. There's a day-use park and boat ramp there at Bigelow, and I had planned on trying to park the old motorhome there for 3 or 4 days this summer, but the river level stayed so high I didn't want to try to fish it. We had also planned on trying out the river down around Tar Camp, but didn't, for the same reason.

4. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Jerry

If you do not mind me asking, how are you fishing for them. Bait, rig, technique, etc.

Thanks,

Grits

5. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I fish between l&d 12 and 13 . I usually try finding deep holes to fish in day time. These are behind wing dykes and outside bends in river. I use shad, skipjack, blue gill and dk's punch bait. Skipjack is my favorite. I bank fish below dams and other accesible places along river. There is a lot of fishing pressure below the dams and now don't fish there much. Just recently started jug fishing and have really enjoyed it. I joined this site about 2 years ago and have taken jtrew word as the fishing bible, listen to him and i believe succes comes in a hurry. lol

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Grits, when I'm seriously fishing, I'm jugfishing the river. I've never done that well on the lake, except at the nuclear plant outlet, where there's a current just like on the river. We'll set out 2 or 3 sets of jugs (40-60) baited with skipjack. (Never caught a flattie on a drifting jug.) I like to have my juglines as long as possible without hanging up too often, covering the entire water column. This means that for the above areas, the top hook is 3' below the surface; another 3' below that; another 3' below that; and the bottom hook 3' below that; a foot or so below the bottom hook, I attach a 16p or 20p nail for a weight. It's cheap, and doesn't hang up as bad as a regular weight. I string the jugs out from one side of the river to the other. The current spreads them out up and down the river. They keep me busy picking up jugs that have gotten hung up or trapped in slack water, and dropping them off with the others. When a barge comes by, it's a scramble to pick up as many jugs as possible out of the main channel; the ones that don't get picked up may end up on the logcatcher of the barge, or trashed by the propeller. Just part of jugfishing on the river.
    Don't get me wrong, I like to catch them on a rod & reel, too, but that's just kicking back and relaxing.

7. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I fish the Arkansas river at the mouth where it enters the Miss. river. I fish the Miss.river most of the time. I fish wing dikes and try to find deep holes in the winter out of the current. Skips are my bait that i fish most. shad next. good fishing.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I fish all the above, also throw deep holes and drop off in there. I fish the river from Piney to the Dardnalle Dam.

9. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I mainly fish around the Little Rock Area on the Arkansas River. Mainly with rod and reel. Never have gotten the chance or actually the time to do some jugging. it takes a bit of time and work as Jerry said. I too have been planning on doing some around Tar camp and around Wrightsville. Whenever i get healed up and get time i plan on trying to get over there. But, done been warned by Gardenhawk(Jerry Trew's daughter) that i better not go without her!:smile2:

10. xtremecatfishin

xtremecatfishin Member

State:
    Conway Ar
    I fish mostly below the dardanelle dam. I have been working so much here lately though I havent been doing much fishing I got all the ole fishing gear out and am gettin ready for a big weekend out I hope.
    later,
    X

11. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I fish at ozark and dardanelle below the dams.

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    All the above!!:eek:oooh::smile2: Also fish flats a lot. Holds some good fish too. Scranton and paris is closest to the house. But i fish from Kerr lake in oklahoma all the way to Dardnelle dam.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I fish a lot with Sam so we fish the same stretch.

14. flatbottom

flatbottom New Member

State:
    Lamar, Arkansas
    We usually fish somewhere between the Scranton bridge and Big Piney creek.