What octane do you use

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by rclark, Sep 1, 2009.

What octane gas do you use??

1. 87

2. 89

3. 91

4. other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a 1987 70 hp Johnson, and I use 87 octane, is this ok or should I use higher grade? What does everyone else use??

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i use 87 in my 115 johnson runs fine i think 87 is whats reccomended

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i use 87

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I run 87 octane as well (40 Merc), and add a little Stabil to offset the effects of Ethanol.

5. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    I use #87 in 9.5 H.P. and 7.5 H.P.. I do not use '"air cooled'" 2 cyl. oil in my outboard anymore.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    unleaded ONLY 87.....115 optimax...that is the manufacture directions:wink:

7. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Considering the price of gas, My wallet recommends 87 octane.:sad2: But luckily so does the owners manual.

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    The 90 h.p. erude etec states to run no more than 87 octane.It also advises against any ethanol.A ethanol free gas is getting harder to find every day.

9. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    87--48 horse Evinrude!!!:wink:

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    87 in my 94 Johnson 40, with a shot of seafoam for good measure.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    87 in a 115 merury EFI 4-Stroke :cool2:.

12. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    wont be long and you wont get straight gas anywhere i haul gas and marathon is the only rack we can get it

13. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    87 octane non-ethanol

I find it strangely disturbing that I can find non-ethanol gas at nearly every station in Iowa, the state that grows the most corn and produces the most ethanol and people in other states can't find a station that sells it

I'm a big believer in ethanol blends in autos but I won't run it in any motor in a wet environment. I've been running it exclusively in my cars and trucks since the late 70's (My dad owned one of the original 10 test stations in Iowa that sold the then new 10% blend) And have yet to have a single ethanol related engine failure (Lot's of fuel filter and accelerator pumps early on but only in older vehicles) But using it in a boat motor is just asking for trouble

Get on your State Legislatures, they are the Idiots that made laws with no common sense or common knowledge of reality. I remember them trying to pass an ethanol only law here in Iowa 15 years ago or so and even the corn farmers came out against it. People in every state should have a choice as long as the Federal Government doesn't mandate it

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  14. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i voted other,i useboth 87 and 89 depends if the 87 has no ethanol or not.if it does i use 89.i have a 98 30hp johnson

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The higher the octane number,,, makes it burn when it is supposed to... My son showed me this as he runs 2 cycle water cooled dirt bikes,,,, 87 octane and even 89 octane ,, cause's them to run hotter,,,,,to the point of melting pistons,,,,he runs 110 octane,,, you got to get it at racing places....fuel cost is a lot higher,, but no melted pistons, racing...

He even uses it, in his chain saws and they do run cooler,,,,

Now I'm not saying, use 110 octane in your outboards as you would go broke,,,QUICK,,, heck my 90 can gobble up 18 gallon a day, if I'm pushing it or using it a lot...

But I think the higher number octane can be easier on a 2 cycle motor,,causing them to run cooler.

The whole octane deal has something to do with the burn rate,,, really technical stuff,,and ,I don't quite understand it,,,, but buying new pistons and ring for a racing motor cycle,, will learn a person something,,,lol

16. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The whole octane deal has something to do with the burn rate,,, really technical stuff,,and ,I don't quite understand it,,,, ,,,lol[/QUOTE]

I'm like you, that is above my job title:wink:

So do you run the highest octane you can get at the corner store??

17. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana

I'm like you, that is above my job title:wink:

So do you run the highest octane you can get at the corner store??[/QUOTE]

I put the good stuff in ,,, for the boat and my chain saws,,,,, 91-93,, whatever,,,,if I had the 110, I might use it in the chain saws,,,,but I have went threw a 5 gallon can of gas,, this year,, in my saws. lol

I think too,, it is the rpms those racing dirt bikes run,,,,the pop has to be, right now,, too long a burn, will heat everything up when the motor is turning 10-12 thousand rpms,,, darn boat motor is only 56-5800 rpm's,, anyway that's what the tack shows on my Merc 90.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  18. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I use 87, but have been using with or without ethanol. No ethanol is hard to find.

Does stabil help if you have to use ethanol?

19. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    This statement came from a race car engine builder and shop owner that i know and trust.

Burn what the engine is designed for if not hand me the extra money you are wasting. Jumping up does nothing for the engine unless it was designed to use it.

He had dyno sheets to show for it on his builds. His statements was enought for me to take to the bank and not waste it on the higher Octane gas.

20. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I run 87 octane