What not to do with a 120 lb. Flathead

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by BobbyLee, Feb 10, 2009.

1. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Has anyone seen the post about the 120 lb. flathead that was caught in Kansas over the weekend? Link is here http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1345160 The dumb shmuck cut it up too. What a shame. Cabella's would have paid him $22,000.00 for it. Wonder how that fish tastes now? Maybe he can get a bunch of his bass buddies together for a big celebrity dumb shmuck dinner and charge $1000.00 a plate?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    That fish is a catch of a lifetime. It would have been nice if they would have took a picture and release it. Some one else would have a chance at catching it.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    LMFAO!!!!!

DumbARSES!!!!!!!! I hope it tastes like CHIT!

The Bass Buddy Dinner auction is too funny!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Out of a farm pond?!?! How big is that farm pond? I bet there isn't a bluegill, crappie, or bass to be caught in that pond! If it was out of public waters I would be pretty upset. But if the story is true (which I'm not sure of) at least it was out of private property. The fish had to be towards the end of it's life so I guess it's good somebody got a bunch of meals out of it. I wish there was a way to get those genetics into my waters though!

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Looking at the pics provided it doesnt look like it was 120lbs maybe 60 -70 but that just me (and since Ive never seen one that big take that for what it is LOL)

That is one biggun tho I know that I wouldnt have eaten it but I cant say that I would still have it around for Cabelas to offer me money for it (i.e. released it).

That would definatly make the year tho catching a hog like that.

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a shame.I woulda punched him:0a6::angry::beat_brick:

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If it did come out of a farm pond I am willing to bet someone put it in that farm when it was already pretty big. I think it is legal to catch a fish in the Ohio and bring it back to your own lake if you are the owner of the lake, not sure what the laws are like in other states.

You know the record large mouth bass 23 lbs 4 oz I think fed the guys family who caught it for two days! That was in the 30's I believe.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have no comment for a hideous sight like this.. sad, purely sad! rollo:sad2:

9. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I still don't think the Fish was 120 pounds Unless he was full of frozen mud or something like that IMO.:crazy:

He might of tasted like Frozen mug though:roll_eyes::confused2::crazy:

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don't think with this economy that someone had a extra $30,000 to buy a 120lb catfish.

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Cabela's Has plenty of money. even with the economy.

Do you guys have a Cabela's Near you in PA??

They would put him in the Aquarium there.

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Does'nt ugly stick offer a reward for a record fish caught on one of their rods?

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Yep! They put the previous state record flathead caught out of the Allegheny in 2006 in there and it died within a few days. Those big flatheads are like great white sharks, very hard to keep alive in aquariums. Guess they need a more nautral environment. I think because it's so territorial, they stress out quicker when around a bunch of other freak of nature fish.

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    There are a couple of Monster Flatheads in our local Cabela's that have been in there at least a year and a half so aquarium duty is not an automatic death sentence.:roll_eyes:

I believe in and practice CPR as much as the next guy. But be honest with yourselves guys, you have families to take care of etc...... how many of you would really turn down $20K, I probably wouldn't. I would not have ate the fish though but the man was within his legal right to keep a legally caught fish.

Radish's potential world record Blue Cat would have been worth some serious money but he let it swim. I respect him highly for that but I probably would have shopped Cabela's and Bass Pro first. That might make a few enemies around here but a lot of you folks are kidding yourselves if you say you'd turn down that kind of money.

If you practice CPR the majority of the time you are doing the fishery a great service. If you kept ONE BIG ONE, and get massacred by the public??? I say phooey!

15. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

I was thinking the same thing... My old man caught a 71lb flathead and it looked a whole lot bigger then the one in the picture.. When i get time today I'll try and find his pic

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    A 120lb flathead would be about 20 to 25 years old? Imagine eating the meat of a 10 year old bull:eek:oooh:. Must taste good:wink:.

But, others can argue saying that the fish was most likely on it's last days anyways and if the dude really chopped it up and fed his family or others, it's just man being the dominant species/predator. Better not fully wasted than found half rotten and feeding the turtles:cool2:.

17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I need to borrow that guys scales. :eek:oooh:

18. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    they weighed it on certified scales.

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Is that a new state record then? Cant remember what the record is there.

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    If it came out of Kansas, it was about 3lbs short of the world record which also came out of Kansas (if Im not mistaken).