What...No cat fishermen here?

Discussion in 'WASHINGTON RIVER TALK' started by Shreveport Mike, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    With all the great rivers in Washington, and nobody there is fishing for catfish, I don't get it. If I lived there, I'd be on the Columbia all the time!

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not sure of the catfish situation in Washington state. I feel sorry for them if they don't have any cats up there

3. GregRobinson

GregRobinson New Member

State:
    Walla Walla Washington
    The catfish situation in Washington is better than I think most people realize. There's a decent amount of people around here that fish for them but most of the die hard fishermen in these parts are only interested in Bass, Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. The biggest cat I've caught has been a 20 lb channel, but most of the ones I've caught or have seen caught are in the 4-5lb range. I'm within about equal distance from the Snake River, the Columbia River and the Walla Walla River and have tended to have the best luck with catfish on the Walla Walla and the Snake. This year's been real slow for myself and everyone else I've talked to. I've only averaged about 1 fish a trip this year, the largest being 14lb and the rest have all been about 5lbs apiece. Channels and the occasional blue.

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Any Flatheads out there?

5. GregRobinson

GregRobinson New Member

State:
    Walla Walla Washington
    I don't believe so, unfortunately.

6. 70sdiver

70sdiver New Member

State:
    washington
    I'll be trying below icw harbor dam tommorow Ill keep you guys posted.

7. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    I grew up around Portland on up to Seattle. Fished most of the rivers and creeks there for everything mentioned earlier. But nobody,I mean nooobody ever ever said anything about catfish. And I thought I had a happy childhood.

8. frownie1

frownie1 New Member

State:
    washington
    i havent much luck here on the west side this year but the sturgeon hasnt been to bad i am still looking for a godd cat fish hole near longview on the columbia or the cowlits rivers any ideas please let me know

9. ultasol

ultasol New Member

State:
    Washington
    I know a couple fishcounters at the dams on the upper columbia and they see tons of channels, blues, and flats.

Try fishing near the grain elevators. They spill a ton when they load the barges, and the cats and carp just gobble it up.

10. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    Used to catch some good channels up at moses lake and silver lake.

11. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    So where exactly are the grain elevators? Are the fish there all year or is this just a summer fishery?

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wow theres a whopping four people in washington catfishing! i need to move out west and change this stuff!

13. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Well I'm here now so all the non catfishing shall cease immediately!:smile2:

14. whispers to catfish

whispers to catfish New Member

State:
    washington
    I live in south eastern wa, and I fish for cats atleast 2 times a week. it is wonderful out here and plenty of spots on the columbia, snake, and yakima rivers! and there are some big ones

15. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    There are a ton of catfisherman here on the Columbia, most of them don't know about this site, but I am trying to change that. The other reason is 1/2 of em don't speak english. I would be out every day if I could but sadly I am a stay at home daddy due to work injury, plus I don't have a boat so going out looking winter holding areas is kinda tough from the bank. Plus it is Steelhead season right now & Sturgon just opened below McNary Dam.

16. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    dont you fish for sturgon the same wak you fish for cats?...looks like there would have been some nice cats caught when people were tryin to catch sturgons.....:roll_eyes:

17. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well yes Katmax we do bottom fish for Sturgon but the bait is significantly bigger & for some reason the cats usually don't pick up the pickled hearing & squid that are used, could be that most people use a dacron leader for sturgon, it is a real soft white braided line so you don't tear up the Stugon's mouth. I have not yet tried my hand at it, but hoping to for the first time tomarrow. If I catch any cats I will let you know.

18. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Growing up there, when we were tired of fishing the Yakima at Prosser we would head across the hill to Crow Butte on the columbia for great perch and bass fishing next to the shore at the pump station or take the boat out for some great catfishing. The tricity area has some great fishing alll the way to Walla Walla. Heck we used to fish for catfish while sitting in the boat at the Hydroplane races. Washington is lucky to have so many other good fish and fishing areas that it is hard to pick one all the time.