What Net

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by Galla Creek Arky, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Galla Creek Arky

Galla Creek Arky New Member

State:
    arkansas
    What kind of net does a newbie need to catch shad.
    I have 0 experience.

Larry

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I would go with a 5' diameter. Get it at WALLY WORLD. After you get used to it you can go up in size. I use a 5' all the time. Do you know anyone with a throw net? Try it out and see what size you like and can throw easy.

Welcome to the BOC.

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i do most of my throwing from the front of my boat and i use a 4' radius net. i tried a 5' but i kept hanging it on my trolling motor. unless you're well over 6' tall i'd go with the 4'.

4. Galla Creek Arky

Galla Creek Arky New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well I am just 5foot 21 inches.

Larry

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    well thats just shy of 7' tall so u wont have a problem with the 5'er

6. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I would go with a 4 foot till i go some practice in. The 5 footer is ok. But I do not like the super sprerader's at wal-mart with the metal ring. I used the one i got from Billy about 5 throws and the ring came off. I just removed the rest of it and throw it without the ring. I can throw it a lot better now. So I would say go with one that does not have the ring.

7. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    newt, sorry about the cast net. i had one before that one and it never gave me a problem. but i dont like the ring on it anyway. like the plain nets way better.

8. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    I just started practicing with a 5' net (my first) I'm 5'6" so I think a smaller net would be easier to learn with,but it's not to bad. good luck Check out youtube for some videos you can learn from.:wink:

9. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    check out the man from austrilia on u tube. i use that technique throwing a 7ft. with 1 1/2lb. of lead per ft. with no problem. i am 5'6" and weigh 140lbs and way old.

10. coachmatthowell

coachmatthowell New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Larry,

I have a casting net and I used one a lot back in college when I fished at the Nuclear Plant a lot. I will come out there soon and show you how to use it. There is a tun of catfish back there and I am ready to get back on them!

Matt

11. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I myself started with a 3 1/2 foot net from wally world. In my opinion start small and with more experience move up in size.

12. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with Dex a smaller net is a good idea at first when you get it down pat:roll_eyes: you can go with whatever you like. a smaller net is cheaper also

13. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    uummmm !!!! well, im not going to say a word on this one.

14. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i agree

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well Im a dumb@$$ and I went out and bought me a 10ftr as my first net and man let me tell you the learning curve on a big net can be really frustrating to say the least. But once you master the 10ft net you cant go back to a 6 or smaller unless your in a small creek you will just feel like you kissed your sister LOL

16. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i've been throwin nets for long as i can remember i used a 3 1/2ft net for the longest time they are the cheapest and unless your catching bait for you plus 10 others ya can usually catch enough bait in no time but gradually move up dont just try and go from a 4ft net to a 6ft net thats a big difference i still have problems with any over 5 1/2 ft i can throw em just not as well good luck out there with your net adventures

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    But net size can also be determined by type of fishing you are doing and how tight the bait is balled up. In jersey I used to throw the net for big river herring and it was very tough getting maybe 4 a night hense the large sized net but those 4 were good for at least one or two big stripers. When they come up you gotta be johnny on the spot and get a net over them quick and a ten footer was very helpfull in getting that herring and maybe the female he was chasing.

Down here in Georgia I have been doing a lot of striper fishing and changing bait often is key to consistent catches. I dont usually head out untill I have at least 5 dozen blueback herring and or gizzard shad for the day and using a plus sized net helps you get the bait in the boat quickly so your not spending all your time throwing a smaller net and coming up with less bait.

But in a situation where bait is thick or cutbaiting a small net is the way to go. I have a 5ft net and a 10ft net and I almost always throw the 10ftr unless its down for some more sewing and I dont have time the 5ftr gets used.