what more can we learn about flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 9, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    seems most of us got most info down its just how good are you and your area, this boc has explained it all, so hand down to the boc:wink: i still would like to know how much flats travel around outside of structer, some say hardy ever some say all night,all mine have been out of structer near deep water dams ect, but im limited to banking, we all know blues run the colum channels rome, but flats,, we dont know studies show 2 results

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well in the Flathead Catfish section if you read every thread oldest to newest explains pretty much all aspects of flatties from their locations, best water temp, to tactics. If you NEEDED to know more.. you could go to google and type in flathead catfish.. it would give you every detail. But if you do make sure you copy & paste it in a thread so we can learn more as well. Thx AJ:wink:

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    In the few area's I fish it seems the flats travel away from the structures some what. Not that it may be real far but they do move a bit.

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Jake, didn't recognize you with no fish in your hands:smile2: Stay safe and stick with it, after a few trial runs you'll begin to pattern them!!!:wink:

5. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Flatheads in different waters can behave entirely different from each other so it's hard to give too much advice. Best way to pattern them is draw a map of the water you fish, then mark every spot you catch one with depth, size of fish, bait, time of year and time of day. Do this for a while and you should see a pattern emerge.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are an avid flathead hunter, you learn something new from every trip, and every year!:wink: rollo

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Just when I think I have them figured out they go and prove me wrong.
    As you said though Jake, structure is always a good place to start. The river I fish (the big muddy) is different than the smaller rivers. Around here you don't see too many log jams, just miles and miles of riprap dotted with sand bars. I mostly try to hit a tributary mouth and eddies and back current behind rocky out croppings. Cut banks as well.
    I know there somewhere though, seems my best chances of getting them is when there active like when there has been a rain within 24 hours.

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have caught flats out of structure but never has structure been too far away.