What Mono Lb fishing line for Flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jul 15, 2008.

WHAT LB MONO DO YOU USE FOR FLATHEADS

1. 12-17

2. 20

3. 30

4. 40

5. 50

6. 60

7. 70

8. 80

9. 90-100

10. DONT USE MONO

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WHAT LB MONO DO YOU USE FOR MONSTER FLATHEADS IN THE 20-40 LB RANGE?????

MY BIGGEST WAS 12 LBS ON 14 LB CAJUN RED LINE :sad2:

IM ENTERING A TOURNEY IN 3 WEEKS SO IM LOOKING FOR A GIANT SPINNING SETUP ON A BUDGET...... I DONT LIKE BRAID :crazy:

IM ALSO PLANNING ON DOING SOME SERIOUS FLATHEAD HUNTING AFTER SCHOOL STARTS SO WHAT LB MONO DO YOU USE??????

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan

3. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I use 30 with a 80lb leader so if he gets me in some stucture I have a better shot of getting him out...btw I use berkley big game...

4. JCONWAY

JCONWAY New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was the same way. I didn't like braid until I had a big one make a final run under the boat and break 30# mono like it was nothing. So now my rods have 65-100# braid on them. I have been catching just as many fish if not more. The only thing I don't like is when you get snagged and have to TRY to break it!:embarassed:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I run mainly Berkley Big Game in the 30 and 40lb. mono.. have for years, and love it! rollo

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats what I use except for I've been using 30#, this year soon as I'm able to fish again I'm going to put 40# on a couple reels. 30# will do the job, main thing is make sure you have the drag set right.:wink::cool2:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    After experimenting on my lake I decided the #30 works fine. I prefer Cajun line and set my drag according to that Lb test. A little heavier sure wouldn't hurt but the 30 is easy to work with. This is on my bait caster.

My Spinning reel's I use braid..hands down, and nothing under #50.

-Jim-

8. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    That is some of the best line on the planet. I use 30 mono on my flathead pole. I use 17 on my catfish poles.

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

but alot of people hate it....:crazy: but i love it :wink:

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

braid is neat because its strong but but mono casts further...idk why but on my spinning reels 10 lb mono casts further than 35 lb braid ( 10 dia)

i go through line fast so id rather have a bigger reel than a more $ line like braid...

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    For my methods of fishing I use weights at least 1.5oz. With the weight and my bait it seems to be enough to cast as far as I will ever need to.....30 yards maybe...if that far.

Also on the normal flat head Fishing I am fishing close to shore anyway. Its rare that I need to cast far.

Hope this helps.
    -Jim-

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use Berkley Big Game 40 lb. I fish lots of heavy structure (rocks,concrete slabs and metal barges), and prefer the bigger line to eliminate possible short comings.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if yhou have the drag set right and the drag is smooth you can land a big fiat on 20-lb line I have caught 3 over 40-lbs the last couple yeras on 20-lb big game..make sure the line is fresh and free of nicks..I dont try to horse the in I just wear them down with the drag..after the the hookset i bac my drag way off and increase it when needed.

14. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    40 lb mono put 10 lbs of pull on the fish...righ???? because you set ur drag 1/4 of the line weight..... you hang 10lbs from your head... i dont think ull like it......

also!!!!!!! id still consider the braid stuff..... im only making one pole for the flatheads..... im getting a 6'6 sturdy stick... it looks promising :big_smile:

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    30lb should be fine.

You never want to go too light just in case the monster eats.

16. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have been in the same situation that you are in, and learned that the weight of line depends on many factors; where are you goin to fish, what kind of structure are you goin to be around and the size of equipment that you are using. i am currently using 30-40lb berkley big game for ALL my catfish set ups. I use cajun red line on my bait poles and for my "alternate" fish set ups. Hope this helps and keep us informed on how you do.

17. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I currently have 60#braid on my spin cast which has a fairly flexible pole for a big pole and 60# mono on my bait cast deep sea super stiff pole. The one thing I've read on here that you may want to consider is that braid has no stretch to it at all so If you have a super stiff pole your going to want to keep your drag backed off or go with mono. I can agree with the above statement. You'll know how good braided line is as soon as you hook a rock and have to snap it off.

18. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    i go alittle light with the line 15-20. if i'm fishing a heavy rock or timber area where i have to get the fish off the bottom in a hurry i will go 25lb. i like to use my drag rather than to horse the fish in. if your looking for a cheaper flathead rod that will get the job done the cabela's king kat rod and a king kat 2 reel will do the trick. when i'm fishing from shore where i have to cast far i use a king kat rod 10ft with the king kat reel. my 10ft rod has a very sensitive tip that you cant find on some other bigger cat rods.

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    30 pound is what all my poles are rigged with. I know that it may not be strong enough for all fish, but it is a good line and I have not experienced too many problems

20. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Can you get Berkley Big game mono in clear blue so it shows up under black lights?