What method do you use to catch Catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Fishmaster1203, Dec 16, 2008.

What method do you use the most to catch Catfish?

1. Rods and Reels

2. Trot lines, Limb lines and Jugs

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    First of all, this is NOT a bash one method or the other thread.

I have read several posts on the BOC that claim more people fish for Catfish with trot lines, limb lines or jugs than with rods and reels.

I realize that a lot of folks probably use more than one method. Please vote for the one you use the most.

Again, please do not cut down your fellow members for the methods that they choose to use in your replies. This poll is NOT about that.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I was a bit younger and actually had a boat....I did run limb lines, trot-lines....but now I am a 100 % rod & reel fisherman and I use 20# Mono on all my big cat reels! It is the ultimate fishing experience for me to catch a 60-70 lb cat on 20 # mono. You really have to know your stuff!!! and a little luck never hurt anyone!:smile2::wink:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    100 percent rods and reels for me also... wish I was allowed to use 100 rods and reels at once though:roll_eyes: rollo

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Rollo...that would be something to see. I can picture 3 or 4 bigguns gettin on at the same time. I would come un-glued.....:smile2:

5. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use rod and reels 95% of the time. I try to set limb lines a couple times a year on Rollin Fork River for good eaters and to see if my ole buddy "Bigfoot" would stop by for a beer and a bowl of chickin soup.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Rod and reel here. If i read the fishing regulations for maryland right, you cant trotline or use jugs here, so you either use rod and reel or hand lines.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rod and Reels for me.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Bring your 100 rods down here to KY. We have limits on the number of trot lines, limb lines and jugs but no limit on the number of rods you can use. :big_smile:

I didn't vote in this poll because I enjoy all methods of fishing.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I voted rod / Reel because 90% of the time thats the method but once in a blue moon will bank pole or run a line....:cool2:

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    First time I went to Oklahoma I put out 7 poles - their limit. It's amazing how fast you can lose bait, tackle, and get in other peoples way. 3-4 poles is the most I would want to manage on a regular basis.

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Ya just had to do it didn't ya. LOL! Who to hell can afford a 100 rods and reals. :smile2:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you knew it was gonna happen...LMAO!:roll_eyes: rollo

13. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    For me it is Rod & Reel ONLY! I am mostly on the shoreline now and would prefeer to have a Rodtip BOUNCING than anythings else when out! Now the Catching and the FIGHT brings the blood to a RAGE and that's what makes the Joy of Fishing what it is!

HOPPY4

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Rod and reel is all I use, but I've been thinking about setting a few bush hooks in a creek I fish to try and figure out where in the heck those catfish are in that creek, I just can't figure out a decent place to start and it might would be benificial but I dunno, probably all talk:smile2:

Also, I saw Rollo mention 100 rods...there's a guy here in NC, actually the flathead state record holder that fished usually 20+rods at the same time and he fishes in the river. I just don't know how in the world you can do that, if we fish much more than 6 in the river it gets pretty ugly, especially with all the stuff floating down the river. In the lake we fish 8 rods no problem and if I had a bigger boat we'd probably fish 10.

15. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I probably spend my time equally between rod and reel and other methods. I love to fish and any method to catch, learn or eat is all fun for me. I love to rod and reel but it's a ton of fun with kids and friends to jug or limbline. Even if your a rod and reel fisherman only by trade you can learn alot about fishing patterns, locations and habits by setting some lines from time to time. I know my setline knowledge has made me a much better rod and reel fisherman. :big_smile:

16. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    I am a rod and reel guy i just love the fight. i occasionaly will set out some trotlines and limb lines. i trotline for the fish frys

17. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I poll fish most of the time but when the freezer is low..I break out the jugs!

18. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Rod and reel only for me. Tried jugging, just couldn't get into it, not enough action for me.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I really hated to vote, because I like to catfish with every method.....except hogging; ain't no way I'm gonna stick my hand back in a hole where a snake or turtle could just as well be laying as a catfish. But I probably jugfish more of the time than fishing with rod & reel, so that's the way I voted. And a trotline is not only a good way to keep fish in the freezer, but it's lots of fun. I voted so I could see the results of the poll.

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    your alowed two poles two hooks per pole here and sometimes its bout to much(LOL) cant imagine using more (LOL)