What makes you a trophy catfish hunter?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wolfman, May 22, 2008.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    This would be a good thread to discuss the preparations, tactics, equipment, experince and so on that it takes to be a trophy hunter. Hope this will help others to get their personal best this year. Lets here it !

2. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I think being a trophy cat hunter is one that has done his/her research on how the fish feeds, hides, roams, just in general it's patterns. One who does the research on effective equipment and uses the equipment within their means. Now everyone has their opinions on what works best but none of them are wrong. It works best for them. Being a trophy Cat Hunter is the ability to locate these fish when others are not having luck catching them sitting on a bank or just randomly stopping in spot to fish. Scouting an area is key to being successful in catching trophies and dedicating time to learning where and when a fish is going to be where takes one who is after something specific. Knowing what kinds of bait are optimum is key too, knowing what bait will get a strike whether the fish are feeding or not is essential.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You are a trophy catfisherman when you use baits 10-20 inches long.

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I think being a trophy fisherman is having the patience and the tactics to stalk your prey and pull in large cats on a regular basis. I usually consider cats over 30-40# to be trophies. Especially flatheads they are harder to catch than blues in my opinion, you have to know where to catch them. Good luck trophy hunters.

5. coondog east fork

coondog east fork New Member

State:
    IND

U said it dedicating time on the water and learning

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Heres what I think about being a Trophy Catfish Hunter. I know that I could use some smaller and different baits and probably catch tons of smaller fish. But trip after trip, I continue to use the larger , live , Bluegills. I'm only concerned about catching the next " BIG "one. One of the most important factors of being a trophy catfisherman is.....patience. If you don't have patience you will not be a very effective trophy catfisherman. I have many a restless night of sleep just before my next planned fishing trip. I dream of catching " BIG " fish. I sat and daydream about a new technique or different approach....maybe something that I haven't tried yet. I sit and think about where I heard that big splash and week after week comparing the information to come up with a better plan of attack. I'm constantly thinking , reading, daydreaming, and fooling with my fishing gear. I dont know if this qualifies me as a trophy catfisherman.....but I do consider myself to be one. I have got it really bad!!!! I have just about quit fishing for any other species except for the Flatheads in spring and summer and fall....and big Bluecats in the winter. This is what does it for me! I used to keep lots of fish for the freezer...but now CPR 100% of all cats. I seem to be morphing into a Trophy Catfishing fanatic. I ams what I ams:eek:oooh:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's been said and it's right - patience and time on the water. Buying an Abu 9000 and throwing 12" baits doesn't make you a trophy catfisherman if you do it once a month for 3 hours:wink:

Most of the guys I know that consistently catch big fish put in a lot of time on the water and pay attention to what they're doing and what is and isn't working.

It also isn't all about gear. Buying big gear doesn't mean you'll catch big fish. I'm not saying take a switch bear hunting, but you don't need a shark reel to land a 60 or 70 pound cat. The boat is just like the car you take to work - it gets you to where you're going, it doesn't make your work any better or more successful. It makes it easier and more comfortable to fish, but by itself it's just a means of transportation and storage. Knowing how to use what you have effectively (based on experience gained from time fishing) will go a lot farther to catching fish than emptying the bank account. Save the money for a decent sonar unit and gas money so you can spend more time FISHING instead of working OT to make boat payments:wink:

Another key that was mentioned is bait. There's days I'll spend as much time getting bait, the bait I want for that day, as I do fishing.

Patience is another huge factor. I spend a lot of days with no fish or small fish for every 30+ pound fish in the boat. I don't consider myself a very good fisherman because I'm not as consistent as I should be, but I learn something every trip. And it might be 8 hours into a trip before I hit a fish. But I'm willing to put in that kind of time to both learn and to maximize my chances of being in the right place at the right time when big fish are biting.

One other thing is to listen. Listen to people when they talk about fishing. Talk to the guys hitting big fish on set lines. They probably won't tell you where they're catching them, but a lot of times they'll tell you the type of water they're catching them in. Same for guys at the ramp - if it's like where I fish, it's usually a lot of the same people fishing. Get to know them. Again, not many people will tell you where they're fishing (I wouldn't:big_smile:) but they will trade info about what bait's working or what kind of water they've hit fish in.

Good Luck!

Branden

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You gotta have one of them fancy tournament shirts...

9. roostermandave

roostermandave New Member

State:
    Cypress Bayou, ARKANSAS
    I would concider a trophey catfisherman ,when he uses any thing above 60 ibs line, and land a cat that is 70-80 pounds. uses cut bait that out weigh his sinker,and has plenty of experince in the area where he /or she fishs, and has over come the obstickles that seem to interest the most fancier catfishman today.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Time,Time, and more Time on the water. The fish location will change from day to day or night to night. Just have to be willing to hunt them down. I know $4 gas sucks. But if your going to go you might as well do it then do it half @$$.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I believe that it is patience and time on the water that makes a trophy cat man. Fish dont only feed on the weekends.:wink: You have to know your quarry and know their home. You have to know when and where. You have to know how to get quality bait and keep it quality. You have to know your equipment and have confidence in it. Anyone can get "accidentily" catch a trophy once but to consistently catch nice fish you have to put your time in. Thats the reason that when I take someone fishin with me for the first few times I take them to a run of the mill spot. A spot where they can experience the river and have a shot at catchin a fish, not a good shot but a shot.Once I can determine whether or not they can be trusted I MIGHT take them to one of my holes. I have spent too much time and walked too many miles finding my holes that I am not giving them away to some one who wants a quick fix. They can find it the same way I did, time and patience.

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I remember the first time I get really upset when a dinky little 20 lb'er "stole" the bait I had set out and I just knew the biggun was about to bite. It was that moment I realized I was either a trophy catman or a dang fool. I still aint quite figured which one it is. Although, after meeting several other trophy catmen on here, I'm about to make up my mind which it is.

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well let me say this, sure i go after the big ones but i just love catfishing and being out in the outdoors so big or small as long as im catching cats im having a good time.And isnt that what its all about? Good thread guys thanks.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now dog gone it James, that is some of the best common sense talk I've heard in some time.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You gotta believe anything less than 30-lbs is a dink!

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Am I a Trophy Catfisherman? Let me see...... I usually fish big hooks and big bait. I usually will not downsize, even if the smaller cats are robbing me blind. I try a lot of different tactics and locations to see what works, I'll even try off the wall tactics. I have been pretty lucky so far. That isn't to say that I know what I am doing all of the time but I am always gaining insight and finding new things that work and doing research. I am always dreaming of the next big cat so I suppose I am always in pursuit of a trophy so that makes me a Trophy Catfisherman. Success is fleeting at times. Thats where the patience comes in.:wink:

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio

This is so true, great post!

18. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    First thing is to have a wife that understands:smile2:. My wife and I got engaged 23 yrs' ago while catfishing so I'm lucky see understands. You,ve got to love it so much that rain, winter cold, hard winds, ice and really nothing will keep you off the water. Fish from daylight till dark. and give every hole it's time. Patience and lots of it. this works for me. I've been chacing cats it since age 5. and I still aint got it all figured out:smile2: I'm just a dumb Ol catfisherman that love to catfish 2 or 3 times a week if possible year Round. I just can't think of nothing better that that. So I guess that makes me lucky:big_smile: