What makes a Person a Pro Catfisherman

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DeerHunter01, Nov 16, 2007.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well I been asked this question several times from people on this board, and I thought I would like to bring this up and see what everyone thought.

1. How does a person become a Pro Catfishermen ?

2. What makes a person a pro-catfisherman ?

I would like to see your answer's to this question, it could be a good thread.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The difference is:
    A Professional Fishes for a living and does nothing else. He is payed to fish by sponsor endorsments and winnings.

There are alot of fishermen that call themselves pro's but, in reality, they are no different than you or I.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ones ability to consistantly catch fish in a given body of water comes into play. Someone that applys good consistant techniques with results. A person that devotes most if not all of thier fishin time to cattin. Someone that has a good retirement plan that enables them to devote the time it takes to be good at it. LOL! First and foremost if ya do consider yourself a "PRO". Don't forget where ya came from. We knew ya when ya were without a boat. LOL!

4. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What do you think it is or takes DH?

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Vince: here is my take on this !

A person that is not stuck on themselves ! or thinks they are the best !

Like JW has said here in this thread someone that makes the full living off of catfishing but can adjust themselves to different water's through out the country and catch fish under the most hardest conditions on the water.

I have been places and seen people that call themselves pro catfishermen that wont spend two seconds to speak to other people, because they think they don't stink, and the best part of it, they only been fishing for the past few years. Its not a person that catches a 70 pound fish, that I can tell you for sure. It's not the person that sits and tells you everything you do wrong all the time.

If a person wants to call themselves a pro then they need to start acting like one. someone that will carry on a conversation and not brag about themselves the entire time with you and to everyone else.

Like George said remember your roots you were no better then anyone else that catfishes, you just might have more time then most to do it. but if you want to call yourself a pro then you better be making your entire living doing it and have the sponsor's to back you or have enough money of your own not to have sponsor's.

Well did I say too much ! LOL :smile2:

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    So we only consider people that can afford to take off work and follow the tourney trail pros? Regardless if they finish in the top 5 or the bottom five each event? I'd be willing to bet there are members on here that could catch the dickens out of catfish anywhere they went, they just aren't in a financial situation where that's feasible. I have met a couple "pro's" that have only fished local tourneys or choose just to fish for themselves. These guys can find and catch fish under the most trying conditions, when others catch nothing. I guess my answer is that if you are well off enough to catfish for a living good for you. Just don't get a big head cause you have sponsers and money. There is always a guy with an old rickety boat that never talks about his catches who could put you to shame lol. I think the true definition of a PRO is the guy who catches fish consistantly,under difficult conditions, not the one who can afford to travel the country. Just my thoughts, what's everyone else think?

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    1- join a club and fish tourneys

2- deffenition of a profetional = they get payed to do what they do

there are alot of folks on this site that would definatly qualify as pros. accept for the payed part.
    :roll_eyes:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    In the literal sense, the term PROFESSIONAL means that your soul income is derived from your chosen career path.

As it pertains to Catfishing, I look at the Full Time Guides as Being "Pros" They are on their respective bodies of water in excess of 300 days of year, plying there trade. I call them Professional Guides.

As for the all of the good folks that regularly fish the various Tournament Series out there ; Cabelas, Bass Pro, ACATS, USCATS, etc, I've yet to find ONE person that does not have another career that helps fund their passion for fishing the various tournament circuits, unless they were retired.

The way many of these fine people conduct themselves on the tournament circuits, and in public indicates a very genuine effort to bring Professionalism to the sport of Catfishing. To me, many of them are very professional people, that care about the sport of Catfishing, and live the majority of their free time in the pursuit of these great fishes.

With the Tournament Circuits increasing in popularity every year, and the sponsors recognizing the value of the efforts of catfisherman as a whole, I honestly believe you will see Full Time Tournament Series in the future. At that point, I think the term PROS would be appropriate. I've had the great fortune of getting to know some of the best tournament catfisherman in the country these past 3 years, and they are outstanding stewards of our resources, yet you'll never hear one of them call themselves a pro. In my eyes, they are already.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think every one should take a short trip to an on line dictionary and refresh them selves as to just what the term professional can mean. lol . We are all pros here on the board! :big_smile::cool2:

10. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ok Vince you got me to respond , whats your take on this ?

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I think you can be a pro at anything and not do it entirely for a living. We see this in a number of sports.
    I have a female cousin that was raised on the farm here that has won 3 national women's titles in the extreme dirt series 4 wheeler racing. 2 of those titles were in the same year in different divisions. In that same year she also ran 3rd in the men's division and was named female rider of the year in the east and nationally nominated for female rider of the year in Vegas and was flown to Vegas for the nomination.
    She has one little sponsor. A small Honda dealership in the small town of Dunn, NC. (they supply all of the engine work).
    She would spend 1500 dollars driving her rig to Texas and preparing to race to win the race and bring home 500 bucks. She would drive 2 weekends in row to Paducah for a rain out to win 500 bucks.
    Monday mornings she was back on the hog farm doing what hog farmers do.
    There is no doubt she is a professional. I dont know many men that would hang off the side of a fourwheeler at 90 MPH.

Today, the top series in pro bass fishing's ranks have bought theirselves in.
    They had alot of money before they got to the series.
    I wont take away their ability to fish but their are plenty of guys in the lower series that can spank them any day of the week on any body of water. They just cant afford or their sponsors afford the high entry fees on the top elite series.

There are two things in the fishing community I think that are left to be bestowed on a fishermen by his peers.
    Those would be the label of "sportsman" and "professional"
    I also believe in order to be considered a pro fishermen, tournament fishing isnt required.
    There is alot more to being professional then what you do professionally.

12. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    To my way of thinking a pro doesnt necessarily have to be a guide or a tournament fisherman. There are many on the BOC that i consider pros when it comes to cat-fishing. A perfect example would be Big George. If you ever read his fishing report posts you will notice he always catches cats and is almost always taking someone, such as a co-worker with him. He knows his local waters, knows what baits to use and when to use them. He is always sharing his knowledge on our beloved sport. To me BG is a perfect example of a pro and i feel that many on here fall into that category.

13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Skip,
    There are fishermen, there are good fishermen and there are great fishermen but, Jacks comment about the definition of professional not withstanding, I think the gist of Eric's question leaned toward how do we define what a pro is and why do people become pro catfishermen.
    I totally agree with you that there are and always will be those few who can catch fish consistently under just about any conditions and those folks will never be in a position to become what is generally termed a "pro angler".
    I have often been asked if I fish in tournaments and my answer has always been that fishing is my relaxation, my therapy. I have worked in professional auto racing since I was 17 and the last thing I want to do away from work is put myself in a competitive environment.
    Am I good enough to turn "pro"? Maybe maybe not, but honestly I have no desire to work that hard to find out and I do believe that being a tournament angler of any kind is hard work if you want to compete at the highest level. The same can be said for fishing guides. They also are professional anglers and have to consistently put clients on fish to stay in business. Being a top level fishing guide may seem like the dream job but it is hard work.
    So, would I like to get paid to fish, oh yes, who wouldn't? But until someone will pay me to take a nap if I feel like it, not move to a new spot when I should because I'm watching Bald Eagles or anchor in a shady creek and catch bluegills in the heat of the day I guess I won't be turning pro any time soon...W

14. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Answer:
    1. He gets him some sponsers, a fancy boat, and some nice duds with patches all over them.

2. He fishes when he's told to, on the lake he's told to, for as long as he's told to.

New Question?
    1. How does a person become a good Catfisherman?

2. What makes a person a good fisherman?

Answer:
    1. He pays his dues by learning on his own, learning from his friends, joining up with the BOC, and just plain fishin' his tail off.

2. When he comes home from the river late, slimed, and stinkin' of dip bait, every time he goes!!!

15. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    gooboy stinkbait, what about skipjack or shad stink slime..LMAO :smile2:

16. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I'm just tryin' to get them pointed in the right direction, never said I was gona take them all the way to the Pearly Gates!!!!:roll_eyes:

17. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Main Entry: pro·fes·sion·al
    Pronunciation: \prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 1606

1 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b: engaged in one of the learned professions c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b: having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professional

18. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My normal response is that you will know it when you are one.

There really is no clear definition of what a Professional Catfisherman is. Many view it as engaging in the sport of competitive angling or fishing for money. Others believe that you are one when you claim it as your primary or secondary income with the IRS. Professional Anglers are ones that promote and educate about our Sport utilizing the various forms of media.

There are many other characteristics to being one that would take pages to list. A Pro has to have the ability to handle the press and media as everyone is watching. They have to have respect for all no matter what or how the critics will throw questions, comments and remarks at you. Thus, you must be a politician and have the experience or polish in any given situation as you are a representative of the Sport.

You listen carefully as others will always want to tell you their fish story. Sometimes you might want to give them a tip as not to be a critic, but to help. Offer to show the ones that wish to learn what it is all about from our equipment to various techniques used. Main thing is to keep an open mind as nobody knows it all or even close. We are ALL still learning as questions just about the catfish alone needs to have research and be answered.

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Pro = short for Professional.

Professional = (Dictionary)

A. One who pursues as a BUSINESS some vocation or occupation. A Doctor who is a professional can also be a professional catfisherman. A lawyer who is a professional can also be a professional catfisherman.

B. A person who engages for money in an occupation by competing. As opposed to an amateur who just participates for whatever reason. Recreation, sport, the camaraderie, beer drinking, to get away from the boss or the wife or life.

Now lets look at Professionalism. (As regards any persons calling, including the "manual" occupations"

Professionalism is the methods, manner, and spirit of a practitioner of a profession. In this case catfishing, whether for gain or sport. I would rather be around anyone who exhibits professionalism positively, rather than negatively. I.E greed, arrogance, cheating, snobbery, non-sharing, secrecy, fraud, or materialism.

I have seen on this forum a very high degree of professionalism, by both Professional and Non-professional persons. I will never be a "Professional" catfisherman, but those of you who are I know would not hesitate to slap on the back someone who has outdone you, nor that person do the same thing to you the next day.

Perhaps the question should be, who is a Sportsman and Gentleman. I think you guys COMPETE with one another, entirely different that some Professions I can think of where that is not the case.

20. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hmmmm.....what is a professional?

Let's see. A Taxi Cab driver is a professional, so is a truck driver. For that matter so is a Jet Blue pilot. Heck, you don't have to make money to be a pro, just have to be able to do what you do in a professional manner. Being a professional at anything is not so much how you look to others as it is how you act toward others in the process of doing whatever you do best. If you get those two things confused, then you're no better in my opinion than a lowly politician. In other words, you try so hard to be a professional that you become a phony and one that people just love to talk bad about, rather than look up to. To me the very best pro's are the ones that get where they are by just being themselves and becoming good at something. Does a professional keep all of their methods and techniques a big secret? Well, if they are good enough and sure enough of themselves, they don't necessarily keep those things to themselves. Call me naive or whatever, but how can you on one hand say "I'm doing everything I can to better our sport" if you are not trying to share at least basic info with new fisherman. They are the future of our sport. Then on the other hand say "They want me to tell everything I do. They are crazy, that will take any advantage I might have away." If you are good enough, your advantage is in how you apply your knowlege, not how well you can keep a secret spot secret. Or rigs, baits, etc. There are many that call themselves professionals that in my opinion are nothing more than a person seeking fame and/or fortune. That's not being a pro, that's being ambitious. For my money, if you want to be a real professional and gain my respect, then just be yourself. If you are truly good enough and care enough, the title will come all in good time. And so will the fame and fortune. And I'm not just talking about fishermen either. Now the big question is this: Is DH a professional and if so, at what? :confused2::smile2: