What made you choose catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Chief, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i know theres a lot of hardcore catfisherman and women on here and i was wondering what drew you to the sport of catfishing? for me i just wanted something different from the farm pond. now theres nothing better than sittin on the river at night with a nice fire goin, a good friend to talk to and some hungry catfish.:)

2. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    For me catfishing has been a lifetime adventure. Some of my fondest memories are of my father and uncles and brothers all fishing all night with rod and reel and then walking the river and noodleing for catfish during the heat of the day. I was never old enough to do anything but carrying the fish in gunny sacks, but will always remember.

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I inherited the love of catfish from my father. He only fished for catfish, and so it was fish for catfish or nothing. And while I strayed a bit when I lived in Florida, I still loved to catch bullheads while there.

I also like it for the same reason you like it.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just love those cats and nothing gives you a better fight then any other fish.My dad and grandfather had me cat fishing from the time i could remmember so i guess i was born into it.Plus i was just sick of hearing about ba$$,ba$$, ba$$ all the time,i dont see what all the hoopla is all about myself.As my grandfather used to say,boy anything with scales is just bait.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    as a kid i was introduced to fishing by my great-grandfather who was a die hard "carper", he never fished for anything else. i would tag along and usually use a canepole and catch sunfish and suckers. think i was about 8 or so and he caught a catfish by accident (think it was a bullhead) and i was so fascinated with it having those whiskers. wasnt till i was 12 or so when i met a freind whos family went to the pay-lakes all the time. they would always bring home gobs of cats, and i eventually convinced my parents to start letting me go with them. that was it, i was hooked. think i was 16 or 17 when i realized you could catch cats outside of these places.

6. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    for the longest i would ******* for carps,catching them by the dozen.would always throw out a pole for channels just to catch something else.while one of my channels pole were out i bad a hit like nothing i ever seen(was fishing with a bobber) i set the hook and preceeded to fight this monster for about 10minutes as i got it close i saw it was a huge cat and i was hooked.Like Dink about 3 years ago a friend took me to a river and showed me what i was missing,he landed a 30lb flathead

7. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    my friends dad use to take us to the river every since i was 5 years old,we fished for everything but prefered cats

8. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    I really enjoy catfish...........and to me they are the biggest challenge in the water. There is just something about setting the hook on a big O whisker fish. I have experienced nothing else like it......salt or fresh water.

9. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I started out bass fishin,then a outlaw Indian took me catfishin.It was the best!No more work!I could relax in the boat or on the bank,drink coffee or pop and even smoke a cigar if I wanted waitin fer my clicker to start screamin, a whole lot cheaper on tackle and sometimes much bigger fish.I now own no bass fishin tackle and love catfishin,thank you outlaw Indain.:cool:

10. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    me and the sun dont get along very well i enjoy fishing at night

11. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    My dad was born and raised in St. Charles Missouri. I was fascinated by his stories of fishing for catfish when he was a kid. Later in life, he lost interest in catfish and started fishing for musky. Today, I can't resist throwing out a line for either fish. I think that they are the two most unique fish, not only in looks, but in regards to fishing technique too.

12. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    its the biggest fish species around these parts. pluss ba$$ fishing is too much like work. i will do it every now and again, but it aint something i do for relaxing.

13. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Like Most Kids, I Was Raised Under A Bass Fisherman. I Got Tired Of Casting All The Time, Looking For The Right Spot Or Waiting For The Opportunity To Go Out In The Boat To Chase Bass. I Finally Decided To Sit Still And Let The Fish Come To Me. I Caught A Small Channel Cat, Maybe 2 Or 3 Lbs, Hard To Say When Your Really Young, Everything Looks So Big. After That I Was Sold On Catfish. Caught Alot Of Small To Medium Sized Ones For A Few Years Until I Hooked My First Flathead. A 11 Year Old Kid With A 20 Lber., I Was On Catfish Cloud 9. I Declared Myself As A Hard Core Cat Man Ever Since. Now My Son Is As Obsessed With Flatheads As Much As I Ever Was. Feels Like Deja-vu. Now I Just Have To Help Him Get His Trophy Fish This Year. Almost Brings Tears To My Eyes.

14. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Started as a youngster, the first time I went fishing with my dad at VANDALIA lake I caught a little small cat. Then my Grandpa and my Uncle would take me to Carlyle Lake to fish at the Spillway. Also around Salem Illinois out in the country there were alot of little ponds I used to fish in that had mostly cats. So it was just something that I did all my life.

15. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I like slime.......

ST

16. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well bass fishing is to active for me it's to dang hard to drink a cold one and keep that spinner bait going:rolleyes:

17. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    3 words:

Big @$$ fish.

18. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    1 word: Tendonitis

Bass, Walleye, Musky, they take too much casting; how am I supposed to nap if I'm casting all day?

Seriously, I love the solitude of Catfishing. Kick back, relax, catch a few fish, some sun, maybe a light buzz.

I've been Catfishing since I was a kid. I never use more than 8 lb. test, and love the challenge of pulling in a 15-20 lb. fish on 8lb. line. What a rush!

19. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Stock tanks and catfish was how I was raised....... Then found bass fishin', then went back to my roots :rock-big:

20. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    pretty much same as the rest
    more relaxing
    chance at much bigger fish than most species around here