What made you chase catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Chance, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Chance

Chance New Member

State:
    United states
    me it was my father and grandfather chasing fish in the swamp .Ive fished saltwater and freshwater then I became a brackish water catfisherman

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It was my girlfriends dad. He is a catfisherman. I used to fish casually for bass and panfish, and it was fun when the bass were biting, but they were never very big. I went out catfishing with my girlfriends dad once and I was hooked. When the catfish are biting good it is the best feeling to me. It lets me catch bigger fish than I ever would bass. As far as I'm concerned Catfish is the best fish.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fish for catfish because they are the largest freshwater fish available on the eastern seaboard. We have some gar that get big, and some carp that get big, but nothing has the potential of the blue and flathead catfish.

I also like the techniques that are available from drifting to anchoring. The variety of baits makes selction fun. I also like that you don't have to spend thousands of dollars on artificial baits and cast thousands of time to catch some fish.

Catfish are hearty fish too. They can take abuse and survive. They are the best fighter I have encountered, and they will beat out a bass for a fight any day.

Last, when you are hungry, they taste great!

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well what got me started was when i hooked my first cat, a small channel, i thought wow that was quite a bit of fight for a small fish, and it just skyrocketed from there, lol

that and there are so many artificial baits for other fish(bass) i just dont wanna deal with it lol

i have never looked back and im gonna catfish for the rest of my life!!!:big_smile:

5. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I went fishing a few times as a little guy (8-10 yrs old) with my dad, but then it stopped and he turned into a workoholic and we moved down to S. Cali where the fishing was limited. Got back into fishing in my teens with the church youth group and friends, but not seriously. Only got serious about it when I moved to KY and started bass fishing back in 93-94. Caught some big ones back there. Started fishing again last year since I moved to N. California where I grew up til I was about 12. Wasn't catching anything big, then it got hot and the bite died off from shore, and I decided to give catfishing another shot, but had always been bored senseless waiting on bites. The thing I'd liked about day fishing was that it was an active sport, but catfishing you toss out your bait and wait. Well, when I figured out where the hot spots were and found I wasn't waitying more than 15 to 20 minutes for a decent fish to hook up I fell in love with it. Long as I got some company to pass the time it's great, buit lately I've had no one to go with me, so it's sort of taken the fun out of it to some degree. went last night though and caught my first cat of the year, a 3and a half pound channel cat. It was the only bite I had though in the few hours I was cat fishing. I'm really hoping the bite improves SOON, or that I find a better spot where they are holding and hitting.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    As a kid I was introduced to catfishing by an uncle. In my opinion catfish is only second in taste to Halibut. Now I'm hungry:lol: !

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    My dad was a big fisherman, mostly crappie and trotline'n for cats. I've fished my whole life for just about anything. I still like bass and crappie fishing , but I'm too lazy to trotline like my dad did, that is work, when I fish I want to enjoy it, so I started fish'n for cats with a rod and reel, have always fished for cats a little, but now its my #1 priority, the best part for me is you never know what your going to tie into, a 2 pounder or a 90 pounder.

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    It was the first fish I ever caught, dad took me when I was 4, was hooked right then. Been fishing for 57 years now and will continue as long as I can.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The first fish I ever caught was a catfish, now I fish for them just for the chance of catching a big fish!

10. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    yup my dad always fishes for cats not much else
    so I was raised fishing for cats I think I was about 12 before I learned there
    was other fish to fish for

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    What make me chase catfish, was when I caught my first channel cat, I have been fishing for channel cats every since.

12. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It started out with what I thought was a lack of "good" fishing in Nebraska, then I adapted and realized what I was missing out on. After fishing on 3 different continents, Austraila, Asia, and North America, and catching some strange fish, huge eels in Okinawa, stingrays in North Carolina, and some strange silver fish in Austraila, I realized that I may live in Nebraska and we dont have trophy bass, or great walleye fishing, but the cats can be amazing. Sure I targeted them occasionaly as a kid, but it was more like whatever would bite, lack of patience and a touch of ADD doesn't make for a very good cat fisherman! Now that I am older and can control my ADD to an extent catfishing is actually a relaxing experience kind of like finding my "nirvana" or inner peace!

Aaron

TA2D

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i fish for cats for several reasons

1. they taste better wild then farm raised and have picked it out from a blind taste testing.
    2. its another reason to stay out fishing.
    3. catfishing seems to be more satisfying then other types of fishing. and i've been fishing for 26 years now. ( I started at 4 yrs old)

14. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    my cousin holds a 4th of july party every year and his pond is full of big blues. some push 40lbs. often seeing them i never caught one. one day one of my cousin's friends walked up all silent and said "lets catch a cat" and i could tell he knew what he was doing so before the day was over we hooked some big cats and he hooked a new catman

15. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i found out early in life that i'm too lazy to fish for bass and want a better fight the bluegill.....lol

16. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Just to have something different to fish for now and then. I enjoy all types of fishing. Only fishing I dont care for is ocean fishing just not my thing.

17. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I've been chasing them since I was just a little tike with my dad and grandfather, it was the only fish to catch and nothing else mattered....lol
    I love the taste of them better than most other fish too.
    YUM,YUM

18. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I just love fishing, Bream, Crappie, Trout and of course Catfish. Catfishing gives me the best chance of catching something really big. Even though we do have some really big brown trout down here they are not nearly as abundent as cats. Also as the summer mercury starts rising, I start staying inside when the sun shines.

There is nothing like sitting in and on my flatbottom for the coolest part of the night and then retreating to the air conditioning when the sun comes up.

19. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    My grandpa worked for the railroad until he retired and then he started his own company delivering ice in the midwest. He would come and get me as a 6-7 year old and take me fishing. Bullheads and Bluegill, I must have caught a thousand of them. He took every one off my hook, baited me up and 30sec. I had another one. He would keep a select few for his bait. We went one afternoon about dusk, to his favorite spot on the river. He took one of the Bluegill I had caught and hooked it on his big pole. About 20min. later the river came alive, his pole bent double, the line was screaming from his reel, he had the biggest smile I ever saw. He fought that fish for what seemed hours, and he turned to me and ask me to help him get that fish. We got it, and I was forever hooked also. I've thought about that time a million times after, how he wore that old cat out and handed me the pole, without me knowing. I hope this Grandpa can be half as loving as he was.
    Don

20. Bass are fun. Who doesn't just love to see a fish blow up on a topwater plug, but catfish pull harder get bigger and taste better than bass.
    I started out fishing for whatever would pull my line (I ain't picky). I soon realized that one could go broke quick playing the bass game and would still be lacking in equipment (no bass fisherman is ever fully stocked up on lures LOL).
    Bream, Crappie and Cats remain my favorites because for a minimum of equipment and time one can pretty much be assured of having something tug on your line. Cats are my big game when it comes to fishing because that is what they can be, BIG.