what line should i use

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by richmondherperman, Oct 13, 2008.

1. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    Dew to the economy i will not be able to afford braided line.I will be needing to get line on my new rod/reel witch happens to be a shimano cardiff and shakespeare ugly stick 10-25 pound line medium heavy action.At this moment i have 20 pound berkley big game.The reel holds 245 yards of 14 pound line.:0a23::0a23:

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have been finding braided line with prices that are very comaprable to mono. Spider wire at walmart goes pretty cheap ($12.00 for 145yds of 40-50lb test). Braided or not is really just a matter of choice. If you are fishing where there is a possiblity of a big boy hitting your bait, 20lbs test might not be strong enough. Hope this help ya some.

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    braid is what i use but big game and others are good mono what kind of water has a lot to do with which line you use. p line make some really strong mono as well as big game several people on the boc have done breakage test . just do your home work lol or ask lots of questions

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That Big Game line should do you well.

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Andrew I have been using Bass Pro Shops Offshore Angler Tightline for 2 years now. I use the fluorescent green/yellow in 40 pound. This is some super tough line for any price. The best part is that you can get it for about 1/3 the price of Big Game and it is every bit as good. Before I got the Offshore Angler I always used premium lines like P-Line or Big Game. Since trying it the first time when BPS spooled a new reel for me for free I am sold. I'm not positive on the amount right now but I think I got around 1500 yards for $9.95. It comes in clear as well.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I been using 20lb Big Game as my main line and it works real well.

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Big Game will do you rite

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Cheez in re

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Cheez in regard to the BPS Offshore Angler Tightline mono. Before I switched to Power Pro, I used the Tightline on my spinning and casting reels and it performed as well or better than any of the standard mono's on the market. If I return to mono in the future, it will be the Tightline.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've used Berkley Big Game for years and it has served me well.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Of all the choices, regardless of price, I would go with the 20 Big Game. SO I think you are good to go, as long as it's fresh!

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I use Big Game and I love it. I have it in 20 and 30# test. It is a tough line. You will find out when you have to break it.:smile2:
    I agree that as long as your lines is fresh and has no flaws it will pull in any fish in freshwater. Make it a habit to check it regularly. Even with the strength of braid, if its got a flaw in it, it is worthless. JMO.

13. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Berkeley Big Game is a line you can depend on and if you are used to the
    way it performs you will rarely lose a fish on it unless you overplay your
    hand in the fight. Don't expect to just winch in the fish every time and
    do the basics right on knots and maintaining your equipment. Realize that
    there is a little stretch to it and use that to help you during the fight.
    Big Game is an industry standard for a reason: it is well made and ages slow.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I used to use big game, and for mono it is a very good line. I just got tired of changing it all the time. When you use it for a while it gets too dried out and brittle in my opinion. Thars why I went to braid almost two years ago, and I still have the same braid on my reels. The braid has also saved me money and made me do better in tournaments. The initial cost is higher but in the long run braid pays for itself depending on which kind you use. I use daiwa saltiga, which is basically an unknown line to some people but if people started using it they would say, " what is power pro"

15. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    cajun red lightning is as tough a line as you will find anywhere. and the price is right.

16. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    In the long run braid saves you money. It has no memory so less changing lines on your reels. It is much stronger and more durable so less breakage. Thus less time re-spooling again. In the long run I would still buy the braid cause it will save ya money in the long run and it doesn't cost that much more than a good mono anyway.