What line of 4x4 do you think?

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by WaltonsMountain, Jul 24, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hey guys I'm looking for a decent "good ol truck". I won't be hauling tons of stuff, but would like the capability if I need it so i'd like the power to be there. I'll mostly be using it to get in and out of tight spots while goin' fishin. Needs to be 4x4 and last over 200k. My budget is around $7000 (taxes & licensing included)...any suggestions?

I dont care if its not the newest truck, I just want ol' reliable that still looks pretty good. Im new to the truck world so I don't know what brand or line of trucks to go after. :embarassed: I heard Ford Rangers were pretty good... any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I owned one Ranger 4X4 and put about 284,000 miles on it before I sold it to a neighbor who drove it for a long time until the manual transmission went out, then he removed the engine and installed it in another truck. :big_smile:
    The F150 that replaced the Ranger has over 200,000 miles now, and so far I haven't had any significant problems with it, either.
    I don't pet them, but I do believe in keeping them maintained.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I am not a Ford fan..but I have to say this. You can find some really good deals on the 7.3 Powerstroke right now. They are good trucks and can haul whatever you need.
    Also, look at the 95-98 Dodge Cummins. They should be well under your price range for a truck in decent shape. If you want to go to the top end of your price range the 99-02 Dodge diesels are there. It will take some serious hunting around but you can find them for under $6500 and in great shape.
    My last option for you (first for me) would be to find a 91-93 Dodge 250 w/ diesel engine. They will be around $5,000 as well. These are true work horses. I have personally seen a 2wd model of this truck roll over ONE MILLION MILES!!!! The engine was still running strong, but the rest of the truck was falling apart. That truck was not babied at all. It spent its life overloaded by a 28' cattle trailer that stayed full.

The GM products are great, but the Duramax is out of your budget unless you find a steal. Stay away from the 6.5 and the 6.2 GM diesels. These two engines are really underpowed for what they are. They get good mileage especailly if you can find one in a half ton truck.

Good luck, hope ya find a steal

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can get alot of truck or SUV for 7 thousand or under with alot less then 200,000 miles on it.
    I was looking at 2006 trailblazers the other day with 85,000 miles on them for right around 6k. 4x4 to boot.

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I got my 00' f-250 7.3l powerstroke for $6,700 it was a good deal and i love that truck it has 180K and stil runnin strong..or go for a n older f-350 mid 90's that is a work horse or i guess a cumming deisel in a dodge wouldnt be bad but i dont like dodge truck but there engine man!!

6. WaltonsMountain

State:
    Nebraska
    btw... should I get auto or manual or does it matter? I can drive a stick but I didn't know if there was any real difference in them as far as pickups go....?

7. WaltonsMountain

State:
    Nebraska
  8. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    find yourself a 86-94 ford idi diesel with a stick and never look back. I have an 89' and a 93 These are probably the toughest trucks on the road, and pretty cheap to maintain compared to the new ones. My 89 has 350k and my 93 has 211k and they get worked hard day in and day out. A manuel trans will last longer and generally be less problematic then an auto especially if your towing or hauling alot.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if your just looking for a fishing truck find an old farm truck that occupies some space and save a bunch. a 70s chevy 4x4 350cid 4sp will have the cheepest and most available parts and easy to fix. with the mony saved you will have alot left over to throw on new parts. anything that moves will eventually wear out so as long as you can throw on new parts you can keep it movin forever and if you can do it yourself its even cheeper. new vehicles require special tools and know how, an old chevy basic tools and some common sence will get it done and like i said parts are cheeper. plus i dont see old trucks as mutch as i used to and miss them.