What length rod

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by beagle777, Sep 2, 2009.

1. beagle777

beagle777 New Member

State:
    Il
    I'm going to get a couple new rods and would like your input on what length you use and why.
    I mostly fish from a boat and have always used 5 1/2- 6 foot rods rated for 10-20lb line.

2. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm running 10' cat busters, but then again i'm a bank fisherman. I like the action of a longer pole. Just my 2 pennies

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I like 8ft poles for most all of my fishing. I have two 11ft poles that I like but only on certain occasions. The 8ft poles aLlow me to have some distance with my casts and also allows for some leverage but are still small enough to with ease

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I like rods 6 to 7 ft for boat fishing, for bank fishing I use 8 to 15 ft .

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    8' is a good compromise for both bank and boat. Long enough to get some distance if you need it (from the bank) but no so long that they become difficult to manage in the boat.

For me, boat rods are 6.5' to 8' long. Bank rods run 7' to 12' depending on what I need them to do. I have no use for bank rods that are shorter than 7' long.

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    It would appear most have given a good input here...

I run 7-8 footers as a boater as well.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I like rods 7 ft

8. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    All of my rods are 7 & 8 footers. My favorite casting rods are 7' medium act. Ugly Stik Tigers, they will handle any size fish from little ones to big ones. My favorite spinning rods are 8' med. heavy Rhino Rods with a glow tip. I personally don't like heavy action rods or any thing longer than 8' because I do 99.9 percent of my fishing from a boat. But in my opinion, you can't go wrong with the Tigers, they are tough rods.

9. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    6-7' for me when boat fishing.

10. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :smile2:Everyone is right on track as far as i can see.I use 7 or 8 foot Berkley Big Game rods in white medium heavy action for in the boat.My buddy uses a 9 foot Berkley Med Heavy as he fishes off the bank more than i do. Catfish Connection has some great deals.

11. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm partial to the 7-8 ft. rods MH be it bank or boat. Good casting distance, hook set, and leverage for fighting. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

12. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm sold on 7ft. one peice Ugly Stik Rods. Hard to beat the price,and warranty(7 years).Ron

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Gotta love the 10 to 12 foot rods.

14. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    As a bank fisherman, I use a 8' casting rod and a 9' spinning rod.

15. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    I don't have specific "boat" poles and "bank" poles, so I get something that can do both, and for me that is something around 8 feet. I have 8ft spinning rods and two casting rods that are 7 and 7.5. All of them are around MH action.

Rule of thumb is, if you need distance from the bank, get a long pole, if you are just going to boat fish, no need for that. If you do both and don't want to splurge on separate poles for each, get something that you feel comfortable to do both with, for me that's around 7.5 to 8 feet MH.

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I would go with a 7ft or so fishing from boat.it never hurts to have a little extra rod when a big fish runs under the boat.

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    A 7 foot mh ugly stick is hard to beat . I have a 7' 6" abu garcia black maxx heavy action flipping stick that is my favorite .

18. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    10 foot heavy action rod with a spinning reel. #1 pole
    #2 pole is a 8 foot ugly
    #3 I have a great baitcaster a BOC member gave me and I reckon I am gettn a ten footer to put it on. Bank fishperson here. and the ten footers can handle the extra weight it takes to get right up close to the dam. Hubby goes for a twelve. But i am ok with a ten

19. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I have a variety of poles for different situations, anywhere from 6' to 13' in m and mh. Berkley Big Game is the most durable, the Ugly Stiks have a nice feel but were out in a couple of seasons. Ugly Stik Tiger is my favorite medium. Also have a couple other brands of cat sticks, nothing to brag on.

20. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    7' UGLY STIK TIGER IS THE NICEST ROD i'LL EVER BUY AGAIN....