What legaly constitutes anchored jugs

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Eddie Mullins, May 26, 2009.

1. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I have only used free flaoting jugs in the past, but see AR has different rules for free floating items.

What constitutes (legally speaking) and anchord jug? As long as I put a weight on it just heavy enought that wind or current can't move it is it considered to be anchored?

I have been thinking of pouring some quickcrete soda can or water baottle tight line weights and thought I might rig a few jugs like that too.

For those of you that use anchored jugs, how do you rig them? I was thinking weight on the bottom with a three way swivle and the hook up a couple ft on a short drop line?

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I asked the same question to a Missouri Conservation Officer last weekend. She stated that an anchored jug has to be immobile, say even when a BIG catfish gets on it so it cannot drag it off. She said that some people use really large rocks but to really meet the code it should be tied to a tree or something similiar.

Your state may differ and my conservation officer may be interpreting it a bit harshly.

I am still not sure I agree, guess I could ask a few more officers and see what other responses I get.

3. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Very interesting question. But, I am gonna wait to see what kind of answers we get. In the meantime I will check the Arkansas regulations and see or write the Arkansas Game and fish commission and see what they say.

4. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Picked up a fishing guide last night when I was getting some supplies. It says they must be either attached to an immovable object or your boat.

I guess the question then is what defines an immovable object? My guess is a weight will not meet the requirements (unless it is too large to even make it feasible to use).

It didn't say how close it had to be anchored...If I wanted to use enough line, I guess I could tied it off and then place the jug as far away as I wanted..

Does anyone know the rationale behind this rule, given that it doesn't apply at night?

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

A sports bra?????:wink::smile2:
    ...W

6. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    :smile2: :smile2:

7. NE_Arki

NE_Arki New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    So does it say somewhere that jugs must be anchored jugs I did not see where it did maybe I over looked it?

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I use 2# weights on my anchored jugs. An anchored jug is actually considered to be a trotline (anchored at one or both ends). It's not unusual to find that when you're putting in a trotline on a sandbar, or on a clean bottom with no stickups, you have to attach an anchor to each end of your trotline. Since you put them in, and will remove them when you pull your trotline, they can hardly be considered to be immovable. I don't know if they still do, but Texas used to specify that anchored jugs had to use a 2# weight or heavier.
    Since Arkansas considers anchored jugs to be trotlines, like trotlines, they only have to be checked once every 24 hours. Freefloating jugs must be attended at all times between the hours of dawn and dusk; they may be unattended from dusk to dawn.

9. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    They do not have to be anchored, but if they are free floating you must remain in sight of them. I want to tbe able to set some and move around a little and come back to check again. You also can not have more than 20 free floating, but as I read it, the limit on anchored would just e until you hit your 100 hook limit. Somebody please correct me if thats not right.

10. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks. It's obvious from your posts you have been at this a while.

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    You gotta be in sight of those jugs or noodles if there not attached...they will fine ya in the daylight hrs....make sure you have your name address boat I.D. # or vehicle tag # on them also....on those trotlines i think...:tounge_out: the rule is still the ends of the line where they attach must be tied with cotton line......that will get ya a ticket if you dont use cotton....so it will rot over time if ya dont pull it up:wink: 20 jugs or noodles max per man:wink:

12. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I can't find anything in the fishing regulations book about the cotton cord being required on trotlines. I think they may have done away with that a year or two ago.

13. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I am not sure on that one i know it used to be a "golden" rule..they would check your lines & send ya a ticket in the mail!!!( for those that had there tags on it):eek:oooh::tounge_out: I think our rule-book is not clear cut in some areas & does not cover all areas of fishing the way it really should..( just my opinion):smile2: Too many except this & except there & only on this lake &....:wink: a rule should be straight across the board..for all

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't know what in tarnation they are thinking adding all this and that except for the other thing etc.........

Ya gots to keep it simple........we is in Arkansaw after all. Whoo Doggie!:smile2:

15. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    It's a "Challenge" to fish in Arkansas skiper!!!:eek:oooh::tounge_out:

16. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Thats where the confusion was for me, does attached mean a 2lb weight, or a stump/limb?

17. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Attatched means by a cord rope wire etc where the device cannot move/ a 2lb weight is just a 2lb weight:tounge_out: It will move a 20lber will drag it to hell & back!!!LOL a 50lb weight would be considered attatched!!!

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Cotton line is no longer required! About 8 or 10 years back, they did pass a law requiring that trotlines be attached with cotton cord, but you couldn't find cotton cord heavy enough to do the job unless you looked on the internet. I think the F&G got lots of complaints demanding that if the F&G was going to require cotton line, they had to see that it was available; or, maybe not.
    I don't really know. At any rate, after about 3 or 4 years, the F&G did away with that requirement. If you look at the handbook, they make a point of stating that 'cotton line is no longer required'.