What LB Test?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by fishinpals, Jun 13, 2006.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Fish mostly small lakes around here and the channel run on average 3-7 lbs. Not real uncommon to catch a 10 lber. There are some lot lager but don't hear of them being caught that often. What pound test line would you recommend.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I am sure others will offer thier ideas too me I would use 20 pound max

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    for channels i will always go with 20

4. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I have 30lb cajun red, but 20lb should be plenty, taking into consideration your tackle and rod and reel, but, on top of all that, what ever you feel comfortable with.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is a matter of preference and how you fish. If you like to make long casts, then you would probably want to go with a light line - 10 or 12 lb test. If you think your going to catch a horse, go with heavy line 17 - 20 lb. If you play the fish, light line. If you force the fight, heavy line. Its up to you and how you fish.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Error on the side of caution use at least 20lb that way if a big one sneaks up on you, you will be ready!!!!

7. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    i use 10-12 on my med. action and 20 on my heavy action

8. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm a little different than most on here when it comes to setting up. For channels, I would use 8-10 pound test. I enjoy the fight. With a fish up too 15-20 pounds, that's more than enough if you fight it right. If you are fishing heavy snags, you might want to bump it up to 20.

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, for channel cats in that size range I like to use 14 pound Cajun Red Cast line. It kind of depends on the type of underwater structure that your lake has. If there are a lot of snags or rocks, I would go with maybe 20 pound test, but if it is a sandy or mud bottom with not too many dangers, 12 to 17 pound should be plenty. Just make sure to keep your drag set right in case the big one sneaks up on you.

10. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I use nothing but 20 or more

11. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Same here. I have been known to lighten up some if using a bobber (17lb). I fish around a lot of structure, so for channels its almost always 20lb.

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree you could get by with 10-12 lb test but I would use at least 20 lb test. Never know when you get snagged, you have a better chance of retrieving your tackle.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Why not use a 20lb braid?You would have the firepower necessary if you hung a big one,the diameter would be about equal to 6lb mono,so you could cast a mile if needed and you could horse something sufficient to do the job.Multi tasking is where braid shines however it does cost more than but lasts longer than mono.:smile2:

14. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Someone stole my advice.

I would go with a 30lb braid though. Your reel is probably designed for 8lb test line or larger, and the diameter of the 30lb would be about that.

When I was using mono, I used anything from 10 to 20. The rod that went for heavy cover and big baits had the 20.

15. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Thanks guys for the info. I have a couple catfishll outfits. One has a large spincast reel that will hold 20 lb with no problem and the other is a baitcaster with wide spool. Also have some low profile bastcasters that don't hold much line. Around here you need distance since so much moss and weeds. Got to be able to reach out there. How well does a baitcaster perform with that line that may be 20 - 30 lb test but dia. of 6 lb ? Have used baitcasters for 30 years while bass fishing but generally used 14 mono.

16. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't used a baitcaster with braid, but from what I have heard you should dofine with it.
    Backlashes are a lot tougher to get out so the inexperienced shouldn't use it, but with your experience you should be fine.

17. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Yes, this is true. My fishing partner decided to use braid on a baitcaster he wasn't used to. I felt so bad, since he got two or three backlashes and totally anhiliated his spool of line.

18. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I am using 17 pound mono lately (p-line) and am really happy with it and I imagin I could get by with a same quality 15! The fish around here are mostly like yours, though there are some over 20# ocassionally. After using power pro for a couple of years, I think it's over rated! Others here love it though.

19. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    20 # Trilene Great All Round Line

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Anywhere from ten to twenty, depends where I am fishing.