what lb test are you using

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jun 2, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i was curious what strength some of yall are using.....

i got 10 on all of my poles

my real question is what lb test are u using on the leaders

thanks all :smile2:

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Depends on the situation. I have spools for different occasions. Topwater between 6 and 10lbs. Areas without snags 12lbs, since I have 300 yards of it and they can run. Areas with major snags, and abrasive objects I use 20lbs. If I am distance fishing (80-100 yards) I use 20lb test to avoid snapoffs on the cast. All my leaders are 30lb powerpro hair rigged.

3. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    If im not using a hair rig, i use 8 to 10 lb line for leaders. I use 20 lb test power pro braided line for hair rigs. I also use 10 to 12 pound test for my main line.

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    here in lake havasu city theres a channel under the london bridge

theres boats and other things driving around or parked......

there are also carp 1ft long all the way to 2-3ft long and maby over 10 lbs

i have 20lb fireline and 20 lb berkley big game but wont the fish see high vis white ???????????

i think ill try the 10 lb for now and maby il catch a 10lber :eek:oooh:

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I primarily use 12 pound test. Lately I have been using 30lb test braid as a leader material. I try and carry a ten pound test mono and I some times switch up. I haven't been carp fishing as much lately just some half-hearted attempts.

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Take me on some of those half hearted carp hunts. :smile2:

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Lol...catching bait for those flathead hunts consumes most of my time...:wink:... Any day....

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    here lately i fish more for carp than anything else. a 2 hour catfishing trip can be precluded by a 4 hour carp hunt. carp has been outperforming anything for me lately, including live shad. i use 6 pound silver thread an-40, straight to the hook, with no weight. you have to turn that drag down or you will get beat like this, no horsing them in. i have caught carp to 13 pounds like this with no problem. if i lose a fish, it's because i didn't play it out enough and it gets its second wind at the bank!

9. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have read in magazines and seen on videos that for the most part catfish are not real hook line or sinker shy. For the bigger fish on my bigger pole I use 30#Dacron. But for smaller fish I use 30# spiderwire.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    im gona stick with the bbg

i "like":0a11:braid but it takes the fun out of light tackle like i do

one day on the river i caught 2 branches and blew away $15 worth of fireline....

the triline BBG is $8 for 1500 yards so ill stick to that

do you think that a carp will feel a #5 swivel even if its 3ft from the hook?????just curious........

11. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    youll be fine with that setup.i use a 3way swival 3-4 inches from my hook and i ripp em pretty good...in paylakes and plenty of people use the exact same setup in the river and catch 30-40 pound carp and 70 pound buff with no prob. also i use 15-17 bbg line and 17bbg for leader or 30 pound braid for leaders.

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i was hesitant to keep a swivel on my rigs but i made a bunch of leaders so ill have faith in them....

using no swivel makes to many twists in the line and when using 10lb line kinks make the strength goes down the toliet :smile2:

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    playing with these tiny hooks and small lb leaders reminds me when we fished at a stocked pond with my grandfather for trout ...... but the carp are much bigger than 1 lb :smile2:

14. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    lol.i here ya dude:tounge_out:.yea carp are a little stronger than trout.lol also instead of using trebal hooks you might want use just regular hooks reason bieng is your using such light line if you break your rig off while fighting a fish the trebal could pin the carps mouth closed makeing it were it can not feed and eventually die but the chioce is yours to make.either way good luck and catch some biguns.

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i wanna use trebles but i dont want anything to die cause im not planning to eat it so ill see how hard it is to get the hooks out....plus there is a huge chance that one of them is gona break me off under some boat or prop

ill see if i can get some small j's around here

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V

Bend the barbs flat or get barbless trebles.They will release far eaiser and they will also fall out of the fishs mouth after a short time since they have no barbs to hold them in.

17. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    10lb is fine for carp.i dont fish for carp but i do fish for suckers and chubs for catfish bait and i use an ultra light reel with 6lb line and corn for bait,and i have caught my biggest carp of 17 pounds on it,and to many to count over 10lbs.There are alot of big carp in the Ohio river and the creeks that feed it here in my area. but 10lb line is fine it all depends on what area you are fishing an area with alot of sharp rocks or fallin timber you could go to 12lb or 15lb but i think you should be good!

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    On my Carp/Channel rigs I use 14# spiderwire which is like 6# dia. On my heavy carp rigs I use 20# which is like 8# dia. On my trout rods I use 6# which is like 1# dia. I tried all the braids and went back to the original brand Spiderwire in Moss Green. My trout rods are going on 3 years now with the same spool, I just cut a few feet off here and there.

19. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I use 17-20lb SUFFIX SEIGE and CAJUN RED with my carp rods, my suffix is an orange hi vis line and I had no problems or seen any difference in the way they bite on cajun red which is supposed to dissapear in the water, I use 3x strong treble hooks myself and that is why I step it up to a heavier line, I have had 15lb carp wrap me around dock legs and the hook just rips on out instead of my line breaking.

20. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    SOME OF THAT GORILLATOUGH 50 LB LINE AND ILL USE IT ON OY CARP RIGS.....

WERE TAKING OUT THE BOAT THIS WEEKEND AND IM GOING TO STOCK UP ON SOME CARP " HOPEFULLY " FOR CATFISHING......

ANYWAY, GLAD SOMEONE IS STIL LOOKING AT THIS POST AND I HAVENT GAVE UP ON CARP FISHING..... JUST HAVENT HAD TIME OT DO IT :smile2::smile2::smile2: