What lb leader shoud I use?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Balex123, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm currently using 30lb braid, and dunno what pound test I should use as a leader. I want it to be the strongest, yet breakable in order to free snags. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

2. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use 40 pd mono leaders but also use 65 pd braid. It always breaks before the braid unless you haven't taken care of the braid. I know guys who set the hook to hard and pop their leaders. Hope this helps

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use Cajun Red 40# (stiffer 'an hell) for leader and 20# Trilene Big Game main line. I haven't tangled with anything that can break that yet, except the bottom! :smile2:

I generally go a little heavier on the leader than the main line to make up for the loss of the strength because of knots. The way I see it, there is no sense using 20# line and a 20# leader and then lose 25% of your line strength due to knots. That makes your system effectively a 15# system, if you understand what I am getting at.

A good high-abrasion resistant leader (a must for fishing in rocky areas with braid) may make the difference between landing one and breaking one off.

Good luck!

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i tend to keep my leader around 10lb lighter in strength than my main line not to exceed a strength of 40-50lb test.

5. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    depends on what you are wanting to accomplish with the leader.

If you are fishing around a lot of snags and see yourself being hung up alot I would go with a leader of slightly less lb test than your main line so you can break the leader not the main line if you get snagged.

If you are fishing open water with no snags then you could use a heavier leader to give yourself better abreasion resistance.

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    yeah,where I fish,there's lots of snags and I use a heavy mainline(80 lb. braid) and then use lighter leaders and/or sinker drops,that way I lose the hook ,the sinker,or very rarely both. saves on tackle and the cost of replacing the mainline. If I fished where there were no snags I wouldn't even bother with a leader. I use 20 30 and 40 lb. mono for leaders,pretied and ready to roll.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    As far as mono for leaders, when you are using mono for your main line the rule of thumb is to use equal to or greater lb. strength for your leaders. This is for abrasion resistance against rocks, logs, the fishes mouth etc... when you get snagged you will more times than not break off at the knot where it is tied to the leader since this is the weakest link. If you are not going to use equal to or greater lb. test for leaders then you are wasting your time using leaders to begin with in my opinion. The only time I ever use a lighter lb. test is for a sacrifice sinker drop so the sinker breaks away relatively easy.

If you are using one of the braided lines as your main line then the rules change a little. With the braids you need a lighter lb. test for a breaking point to keep from losing a lot of line everytime you get snagged. Also the braids are not very abrasion resistant so a mono or flourocarbon leader is needed.

8. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well put 777 thanks!

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    30# braid is a hard line to match up a leader with. If your set on using the 30# mainline I would say there is two choices....a 20# fluorocarbon leader, or you would have to match the 30# or go higher ( and risk breaking the braid ).

Honestly, IMO, you are better off jumping up to a 50-65# braid with a 40# mono leader...or something in that area.

braid at 30# test is risky on catfishing, not necessarily because of the size of the fish but because of where you have to pull him out of. Braid that thin tends to snap pretty easy , in fact, I would use a 20# mono mainline before I used 30# braid.

Oh...and welcome to the BoC

-Jim-

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I think if you went with 20 and 25 lb. test leaders in momo you would be fine,they can be hard to break sometimes too. I can turn "most" fish with 20 lb. test away from a snag,but it's those once iin a great while hook-ups with a true monster fish that keeps the heavier line on my broomsticks. If I get a hook up with a truely big fish I want the tackle and gear to handle it,or at least give me a shot at getting it in. The last one(a monster flat) I couldn't of budged him off the bottom without the 50 lb. test leader,just to lose it bankside when the hook pulled free. with 20 or 30 lb. test I would of thought I had another snag and broke it off without knowing that big boy had taken the bait. But for the majority of fish the 20 or 25 lb will work.

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree,the 30# braid is too thin,one little nick and SNAP.I,d bump it up to 65# braid(not much thicker than 50) and use a 40# leader preferably fluro if you wanna spend the bucks or else a good abrasion resistant mono.

12. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man, I need to got shopping. I would be upset having lost a hog on a little nick. Thanks guys!! :big_smile:

13. Cowtip

Cowtip New Member

State:
    texas
    65# braid mainline, 50# mono leader 18" long!

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would recommend #20 or #25 mono. I use #65 Power Pro with #40 Cajun Red mono leaders.