What lb. leader do you use?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by tmramrod91, May 8, 2009.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I know that it can varry for different situations, but when you're goin after the bigguns, what pound leader do you put on?

I use 50 lb braid as my main line and 30 lb. mono as my leader, but I've read and heard of people using way bigger lb test for leaders.

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use the same as my main line. I don't understand why people use a lighter leader than their main line in most cases. You can have 200 pound main line and the whole setup will only be as strong as the lighter leader. So why bother with the heavier main line for most situations?

I understand if you are fishing a lot of snags, it can help save some line and be easier to break off if you get hung up and I get that. But I don't get why you would do it if you are not getting hung up a lot.

3. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i use the same with ma 50lb braid and with ma 65lb braid i go with 30-40lb mono or floro. if im using dacron i go with the 30lb mono as a shock absorber and 50lb leader

4. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    It all depends. For my heavy rigs with braid, I use the same thing as my main line. For my mono rigs I usually go with 30 lb Berkley Big Game with a 50 lb test leader.

5. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I do fish a ton of snags and get hung up quite frequently, which is part of my reasoning for using a lighter leader. I was considering getting some 50 lb mono as well, because I remember reading most blue fisherman use 80 lb leaders, but wasnt sure what most people use when fishing snags for flatties.

6. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill

I use that Shakespere Omniflex 50 lb test for leaders. It's like 2 bucks for a huge spool at Walmart and is tough as nails. I wouldnt use it for my main mine because it's so thick but it's great for leaders.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use 100# Power Pro barid for my main line, and 60# fluorocarbon for my leader. The fluorocarbon is so tough, occasionally my main line will break before the leader will. Whatever combo you decide to use, the best move you could possibly make would be to ditch the mono leader material for fluorocarbon!

Bill in SC

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 50# Berkley Vanish Flourocarbon leader on a Berkley Big Game 40# mono main line.

9. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I've never tried fluorocarbon. I'll have to give it a shot.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Here is what I use for leader in different situations. Main line is generally 80-100lb Spectra braid, and the sinker is attached on a 20-25lb dropper line.

River fishing / muddy water
    200lb FINS Deep Drop saltwater braid. This stuff is not a thin diameter superline, it's thick and super abrasion resistant, I've never seen it break, and it is much easier to tie than heavy mono.

Clear water / winter on the river
    40-50lb fluorocarbon. It will sometimes break before the main line, but in general it's going to take a pretty big snag, no fish will break this.

Drifting / very snaggy
    30lb mono or fluorocarbon. I have a clip on the end of the main line that the leader attaches to, and the sinker is on a 20lb dropper line. The idea behind this setup is that the hook or sinker can be broken off on a snag without too much drama, and I can just clip a new one on and keep fishing with minimal down time.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    When I am fishin tight to snags I use no leader at all.:wink:
    Let the sinker slide all the way to the hook.
    All I use is 30 pound mono, for the main line. Works for me.:cool2:

12. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    GarF uses heavier line than I do they would drag my skinny little butt right in the river.I use 50lb. mono and the same for leader and 50lb leader on my lighter rig with 20 lb.The reason is because most of my flathead fishing is in jumbled rocks below dams and the rocks will really fray a leader.Not to mention the teeth on a big flathead.:smile2:

13. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Kyle, do you find you get snagged a lot fishing like that, or snagged less?
    I've seen the monster flatties you pull out so you're obviously doing something right :big_smile:

Might have to try the no leader thing out.

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Honestly my money would be on 50lb mono over 80lb braid by the time you factor in abrasion and knot performance.

15. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Snagged alot less.
    The key is to throw it out and leave it. Its best to get it out when there is a fish on.:smile2:
    If no fish, just feel the line when its tight and if you dont feel any obstructions, lift the rod tip and crank it in.
    Thats one reason why I like spinning reels. The retrieve is SO much faster.
    Circle hooks tend to snag less, but I hate them for flatheads.

16. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    If I want a leader I just pinch a split shot on below the sinker.
    I dont really care for swivels. I dont think they help all that much.
    Too many knots.:smile2: I like to keep things simple.

17. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Do you leave quite a bit of slack in the line to let the bait swim around a bit?
    I'm a big fan of circles, especially when using live bait....why do people hate using circles for flatties? They hit it so hard it seems like they'd set themself pretty easily with a circle. I've only caught a handful of small flatties, no big guys.

18. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    The gap between the shank and the tip is too small for live bait.
    Plus the big ones usually dont slam it, making circle hooks a poor choice.
    Alot of times you will just barely see your rod move.
    You have to reel in til you feel the fish and then set the hook.
    Kahles work just as good as circles imo, but you have the ability to set the hook if need.
    All purpose hooks.:wink: Cheap too. I buy Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp and get 40-50 hooks for 6 bucks.
    Never had one bend or break.

I dont leave any slack in the line. If I am tight to structure I dont want my bait swimmin around in the branches. I just want him wigglin on the nose of a big flattie.:smile2:
    That usually applies to daytime flatties, night time you can back away a little bit. Then a leader of some sort would be a good idea.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I used to rig like you do and caught plenty of fish, and I agree that swivels usually don't do that much in terms of line twist. But fishing down current from a boat with a drop sinker I can keep my bait just a little bit off the bottom, which often increases the number bites. And rigged like that the swivel will cut down on twist when your bait is out there spinning like a propeller in the current.

Just a matter of different tactics and rigging for different situations.

20. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Yeah, current plays a huge role.
    Most of the time down here its not a huge deal.
    Fishin below Kaw Dam we used a 3 way rig with no swivel, just a dropper loop tied onto the line.
    Worked well for me but better for my Dad.:wink:
    It didnt help that he could throw 3 times further than I can.:smile2: