what lake u think is the best to fish at?

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by melstangman1967, Mar 27, 2008.

1. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    what lake in iowa u think if the best to fish at?

2. iowacatsmacker

iowacatsmacker New Member

State:
    murray,iowa
    Summit lake in tekamah neb, best cat lake arround, 6-10lbs up two 15lbs, make the time two fish this lake this year, you will thank me for it. 2 hr drive from des moines, or so

3. iowacatsmacker

iowacatsmacker New Member

State:
    murray,iowa
    brushy creek, by lehigh, south of fort dodge, very deep and full of trees, lots of big channel catfish, awsome fishing north end of lake, also great bass lake

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    The best catfish lake according to the IOWA DNR is CORALVILLE RESIVOIR. It is supposed to be a catfish factory! and is one of the only lakes in IOWA where the flathead population is just as good as the channel catfish... but all an all I think the best big channel catfish lake is BADGER CREEK... I dont think I have seen a channel come out of there under 8 lbs.... but then again I use big bait.

5. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lake Darling in Brighton, Iowa I know for a fact has some huge flatheads in the lake because they shock it all the time and find 60+ pound flathead. They also shocked the Skunk River a few years back and took out tons of flatheads and stocked them in Lake Darling to "control a bull head problem". The piece below was obtained from a Iowa Fish and Game article talking about good places to catch catfish in Iowa.

"One Iowa lake that has no need of stocked cats is Lake Darling. This southeast Iowa lake supports a population of flatheads that are unique in being well able to perpetuate their numbers without human intervention.

"A few years back, (IDNR fisheries biologist) Don Kline hauled a bunch of 5- to 20-pound flatheads from the Skunk River and put them in Lake Darling to see if they would help control an overpopulation of bullheads," said Vance Polson, IDNR fisheries technician. "There's now a pretty good self-reproducing population of flatheads in there, some of them better than 40 pounds."

6. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lake Sugema. Anyone that has seen this lake knows that if not now soon will be the best Lake in Iowa to fish.

7. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know I've been hearing all sorts of chat about Saguma being so awesome to fish and everytime I go there it seems to be mediocre. I might not be fishing the right spots, my former boss fished there a lot and talked about good luck catching nice crappie.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Well Mel there are several Great lakes here in Iowa for catin. One of My Favorite for Channel Cats is Green Valley just East 4 Mi North of Creston Iowa. I Always catch a Limit and they range in size 4 to 15 pounds. I drift fish using cut bluegill and cut shad. you can do good from the bank also.JMHO J.D.