What knot is best for a turned up eye octopus circle hook ?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by gearhead, Jan 14, 2007.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    With a Gamakatsu octopus circle with a turned up eye would you tie to the eye or go through and tie a snell to be more in line ? Why or why not would you want the turned up eye ?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The snell knot (IMO) is the strongest and straightest connection to the hook. You need an offset/upturned eye to snell them properly.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Doug has it right, snell knot. Others will work, but a snell gives a straight pull on the hook.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I am not sure about this, but I think I read about some hooks being designed so that when you set the hook, the upturned eye causes the hook to "bite in" better giving a better hookset.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Tie what ever knot you know the best. I know a lot of people that snell there knots but I never got into it. Maybe I'm missing something maybe I'm not but I never ever have had a problem hooking fish because I did not snell my hooks. That being said this up and coming season I'm going to experiment more with my rigs. So I'm going to start snelling some lines not all of them though....

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Agree With Doug And Bam, The Snell Knot Works Best.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The only drawback to using a snell on the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle is that if you use too light a line for your leader or if you don't cinch it up tight on the shank you can get a failure.
    The first wrap of the snell can be cut by a little sharp corner left on the very end of the wire during manufacturing process...W

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I snell all my offset eye hooks using the snell knot where you go through the eye 2 times then tie the knot. I think the offset eye was intended for snelling so the hook hangs streight. I use the palomar knot on my streight eye hooks. I always like to go through the eye twice on any hook for the added knot strength.

9. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Thats what i was wondering about if they were design to work with a specific knot if im not tying the snell would i be better off with a straight circle.

10. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Lets think about this for a minute. What happens to the circle hook as it pulls out of the corner of the fishes mouth? The hook begins to slowly rotate as pressure begins to build from the rod.

In my opinion, the best way to facilitate perfect rotation / turn of the circle hook is to use a knot which has a loop below it from which the circle hook hangs. A lot of people use this kind of knot / loop for live bait as it allows the bait to move more freely. I use a knot similar to the improved clinch knot. Instead of cinching the knot all the way down to the eye of the hook, I leave about an 1/8 inch of line from which the hook can move freely. The loop allows the hook to smootly turn as it exits the side of the mouth (the loop turns before the hook turns thereby creating a better angle of pull to begin hook rotation).

I hope this makes sense.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I definitely agree with this post.Fishhook said it all.:roll_eyes:

12. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like the Palomar knot. It's tough, fast, and easy to learn. I haven't had one fail yet.