what kinda rod?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by wishiwasfishing, Sep 9, 2008.

1. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    I dont want to start any kind of rod war, but i was wanting to buy some new rods and was lookig at the catfish safari rods. I fish the Mississippi river a lot and was wondering what would be the best rod for these conditions. Would the lake rod be a good idea or the flat head be a good idea over the river rod, or is the river rod my best choice?

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would think the river rod would be about right for you on the miss. It's the rod I use on the missouri river. I'm sure one of the guy's from STL will be around to tell you what model they like best on the Miss.

3. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Heard nothing but good things about the Safari Rods, I have 3 Surge rods, they are well made. A cheaper option is Pinnacle Big Water Rods. I have a 6.5 footer that is made for small ocean fishing and it is a well built rod.

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Catfish Safari rods. I have four and really like them. There are several threads on rods. Read up on them and this may help you out.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I would go with the river rod. I have used catfishsafari rods and have had no problems with them. Call Steve and he will help you out and set you up with what you want. 1-660-438-3135

6. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    I have one of the lake rods and really like it, I haven't hooked into a hog yet with it, but i'm sure it would be up to the challenge, it is a choice if you sometimes fish lakes as well etc. good all around rod.

7. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I fish with a Flathead rod and have seen the lake and River rods in action. In my opinion the river rods are a bit stiff unless your fishing in some pretty heavy current (like below the dam). The lake rod works just fine, but may be a little light if you hook into something big and it hits the main current. I bought the Flathead rod because it has the backbone to haul in the big ones, but isn't as stiff as a broom pole. Now if you are fishing heavy current and throwing lead over 8 ozs. then I would consider the River rod. Call Steve over at Catfsih safari and tell him what your fishing and he'll give you the heads up on what to fish with, he's a very knowledgeable guy in regards to catfishing in both river and lake fishing.

8. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    Hey ,thanks every one for the info. :wink: