What kinda line should i put on my abu 6000?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by whiskerchaser, Jun 25, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Should i use braid or mono on my abu 6000 i like braid but whats better and what lb test should i use? I was thinkin 30lb or 40lb. I will be goin for big channel cats 20lb to world record lol. And will be using it for large northern pike also. about 25lb pike.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    20-lb berkly biggame mono is what I use on mine..You can use 30-lb but it wont hold alot.

3. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico

Thanks thats what i had but the line was due for a change i had it one their for about a year since last fishing season. I will buy some more i think i will stick with the 20lb berkely big game but just it case i ever use braid can anyone tell me how to use the backing?

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I really like the new Mossy Oak Fishing Line. I wont one spool from a BOC giveway but then have been in contact w/ Mossy Oak. I learned alot about this line. It's super tough, & thinner than Big Game. Right now I think only select Walmarts carry it. You can also get it from their website too. It runs just under $17 for 660 yards.

5. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The new Cortland Bronzeback is awesome. It is a braided line, but it is my favorite line for catfishing. Unlike Power Pro, it doesn't have the waxy coating that will rub off, it's much softer and it doesn't fray with age. It also casts extemely well. IMO it is the best braided line on the market.

6. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I spooled up with 40# power pro on my abu 6500 just to try braid out for the first time, and so far I have mixed feelings about it. For backing, find out how to do a "line to line" knot, in the box of my power pro it had instructions on how to tie a good mono to braid knot. I used 25# as backing, i just spooled up with an arbor knot to the spool until it just covered the spool, then tied on the braid. Its important you do back it though, because one time i just tore open the box and tied it on, i couldn't keep it from slipping.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I would go with no more then 30# test. If you go bigger then that in Mono you will lose alot of yardage. I am not a fan of Powerpro, Spiderwire, or any braids but you can put more on if you use them. Good luck on the water.

8. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    I have tried several braided lines and like FINS spectra the best hands down. For my smaller reels I use berkley big game or momoi diamond yellow, both are great mono lines. On my larger penns and newells for surf fishing I use a 50# mono backer and fins spectra superbraid. Both have hossed in some big bull redfish and sharks.

9. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Try Berkely Big Cat Trilene I like it better than the Big Game. It comes in 20 up to 40lb test. That handles anything in New Mexico close to where I live. Take care and God Bless.

10. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ok guys I bought some 30lb power pro 150yds and I compared it to the berkely big game mono I had on it and it made the mono look like wire or something the power pro was like half as thick as the mono! And i put the berkely 20lb big game as backing just enough to cover the spool and when I put all the 150yds or power pro I still have like 1/2 inch until it reaches the top of the spool thats weird but thats just me ive never used braid.

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Umm, errr, sorry to give you the bad news, but they're the same line. And I love it! Trilene makes both and put a name of Big Cat to catch bigger fisherman. Keep the lines wet brother and God Bless to you as well.

12. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys.