What kinda hooks do you use for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by balddaddy91, Mar 16, 2006.

1. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    which is better the kale hook or circle hook to use for flatheads

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Can't tell you which is "better," but personally, I like Kahles better. For standard 4 to 7 inch sunfish (hooked in the nose), I use 2/0 through 5/0 kahles snelled to a 50 pound leader.

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Any hook, that doesn't have the syllables circ -or- le

4. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bought me some circle hooks the last time I was in Walmart. I am going to put them on as soon as I look through the library about tieing the leader. I don't think hooks make a big difference. I hear you don't have to set a circle hook but I would think it wouldn't hurt if you did. After a fish has made my pole jump, I haven't lost that many fish

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like kahles myself,i just started trying to use circles and today i went fishing and thats all i used was circles and i didnt get one hook up and that was letting them load the rod first.Im not sure if they were just small fish or what but today they sure didnt get the job done,i think ill stick with the kahles.

6. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    so do you get more hook sets whith the khale hooks?

7. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i myself like to use kahles for liver and cut bait but, i use octopus circles from 6/0 to 10/0 for gills and other live bait...

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Like Kahle Hooks The Best, I Have A Better Hook Up Ratio With Kahles Than Circles.

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Gamakatsu octopus (8/0 - 10/0) and (recently) Gamakatsu Big River hooks. They are great for live bait, I think. Great construction. Big River hooks are really built for the bigger fish too.

:0a26:

10. catfishermanj

catfishermanj New Member

State:
    Illinois - McHenry
    I like kahles myself over circles. The one ime I gave circles a chance, it just so happened I came across a group of walleye that liked my cut bait that night. We could not hook up with the circles, we then switched to kahles and J-hooks and started hooking up. That is when we realized we were getting hits from walleye.

I'm thinking of using circles this year on jugs and limblines. I plan on doing a lot of scouting this year and I think I may have a better chance of hooking up with the circles.

11. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks 10/0

12. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Eagle Claw..Live Bait hooks, Heavy wire 9/0

13. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    I've tried both circle and kahles hooks. I prefer the Gamakatsu Octopus 9/0. They work better for my style of fishing.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught a fair number of flatheads on 8/0 gamagatsu octopus cirlces..But I have also lost a few big fish thanks to them..I bought some 8/0 king kahles to try this year.

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I like the Kahle hooks. I used them exclusively last year with good results. I intend to make them my hook of choice again in 2006. I will however give circle hooks a try under certain conditions just to see if maybe I like them also!

16. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    You will jerk the hook out the the catfish mouth if you try to pull on it..ben there and done that.

17. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    In all honesty, I don't believe you can go wrong with either. I haven't ever lost a fish with circles, but if they are just tapping the bait, you can't do much about it. Kahles can work like the circle but you can also set the hook with them.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I use alot of different hooks, but prefer tru-turn and circle hooks from size 7/0 to 10/0. Just try different styles until you find what works best for you.

19. Bross

Bross New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use circles for one reason. I always practice catch and release. Before circles came out, sometime I would gut hook a cat. It would just kill me:crying:

I never meant a catfishman I did not like!

20. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have used kahle for channels but not flatheads. I've tried circle hooks and had no good results. But I know that the kahles work like circles.