Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

What kinda choke should i use for turkey

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Aftercats 
#1 ·
well i know i dont want to use a full choke cause i might blow my barrel shooting steel shot. but should i use modified or IC?

#3 ·
Personally I always use the rear takedown and strangle hold I was taught in the Army when choking turkeys,although I have heard that a plain old two hand choke hold around the throat works as well.:rolleyes: :p ;)This not to be confused with the grips used for chokin chickens however.LOL

#4 ·
Wolf tell me about it!:rolleyes: I actually picked one up that I thought was dead one time.It was BAD.:frk-big: Not as bad as the time I decided to lasso a deer but plenty bad.The deer were eating my Granmas peaches so I decided to capture one.I gathered all the fallen peaches in a pile and ran a loop around them.Then I got up on a storage shed with rope in hand and waited for the deer.Of course I dozed off(This was at night)but deer eat peaches just like people munch munch and then spit out the pit.I heard the noise and promptly pulled the rope and managed to capture a small buck,who promptly pulled me off the shed.I managed to pull him up against a wire fence but for the next ten minutes or so that deer damn near killed me.I managed to "Release" it finally and he ran off trailing the rope but it took me a week to be able to walk upright,and for the cuts ,scratches,contusion,scrapes and bites to fade,not to mention the Iodine.That was where I discovered "Catch and Release" not much chance to photo that night.Often I think of that old buck out there telling his grandchildren about the night he got revenge on one of the hunters!:) ;) Probably kept the rope over his mantle place.

#6 ·
Jess & Jim.I have watched a little shriviled up old woman snatch up huge domestic turkeys and geese.In a instant she would have it tucked under her left arm,leaving the right hand free to open and shut gates.The bird would be facing forward.Its wings tucked in.Its head under the left wing.Its legs and feet tucked forward under its belly with both legs held in her left hand.Her arms would be holding the wings and bird securly agaist her side.She seldom got a scratch.I am talking about birds that would put a whipping on you.She claimed her grandma and ma taught her.She was also known for the ability to pick a bale of cotton in a day.If you want to learn how to do it,practce on a chicken.A chicken hurts less.I raised Toulose geese for a few years.I never got it down like her.I had my largest gander get me by the nose with his beak,while beating me with his wing spurs and clawing me with his feet.My children thought that it was a very funny show.The old lady was my grandma.She had been around turkeys and geese all her life.She called the geese "hoe hands"as they were used for weeding cotton.I loved to sleep on grandmas feather beds and pillows.Grandma taught me to NEVER lose your temper with a animal,no matter what it does or how bad it hurts you or someone else.To do so will only make it worse,as you lose your judgement along with your temper.A good rule for everything in life.peewee-williams

#7 ·
lol@ jim. that reminds me of the night i whent bear fishing. damn bear made a run and broke the cable,tree snapped back and flung me back to the next county! really no ship! hehe

seriously though, i never herd of steel regs. for turkeys either.

#9 ·
OK first things first what kind of steel are you using? Hevy shot or plain steel?Next is it required in your area to use steel? I know many areas nontox is required. If you go with the Hevshot go with Mod. in the tubes made for your gun. This will take a bird at 40 easly if you cat hit them. This is the main thing Hevyshot patterns TIGHT. So if you use it try it set up a pice of butcher paper and just draw some thing about the size of your fist and take a few shots at the paper to see where you are hitting. This way you can see where your gun shoots and how tight of pattern you have. I know how much Hevshot costs around 2$ a pop but how many shots do you fire ?

#10 ·
A quick reply, go to your local Walmart, check the hunting department, turkey gear is out now, chokes are usually located there. Just make sure you purchase the proper choke for your gun. As mentioned earlier you want a good tight pattern. I would also recommend patterning your gun as well at different distances. And good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.