What kinda catfish is that?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jailcop2, Apr 28, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Hi all just joined and have gotten alot of good stuff from this site . Got a question ? This fish was caught in s/w Iowa ,looks just like it did coming out of the water [ if I can get the pic sent ] if not ... it was black on the back w/ ablack saddle, white / gray belly w/ black spots on it . Iowa DNR called it a speckled cat and that it was rare . I can't find anything about it anywhere ,bout a 10 pounder.
    Thanks
    Jailcop2

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
  2. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Welcome to the board Brian.

Thanks for the pic. I have never seen a cat like that before. Looks like it is half albino.

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    welcome to the BOC!

now that's an odd looking cat....

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. Can't help you on what kind of cat it is but hope someone here can

5. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    speckled catfish is another name for a channel cat...but that's no channel cat...unless he has leprosy or something. :big_smile:

6. OBXterraSC

OBXterraSC New Member

State:
    NC (Fort Sill, OK right now)
    I've never seen one like that, either. Maybe it's a calico cat.:big_smile:

7. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    It looks like a cross-breed between a yellow and black bullhead. How did you catch him what bait?

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    just going by the shape of the head/mouth and what little detail i can get out of the picture it looks like a mutated channel catfish... the over bite on the fish is a good indication (but not absolute) and since the fin isn't detailed there isn't much to base it on... The other possibility is a Very large (you said it was 10 lbs?) bullhead, probably brown w/ that speckling on it...

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Take it off of the wall Bryan, and count the rays in the bottom fin for us. That should help narrow it down.

10. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for the response all ! This cat was caught on night crawlers , I messed w/ wht I think was this fish for about an hour berfore hooking him .Very light bights like a dink . The localbait shop owner called the local DNR & they sent pics to Des Moines to the game biologist. the fish weight was 9lbs10ozs.
    jailcop2

11. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Near as I can tell it has 23 rays
    jailcop

12. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I just happen to have my handy-dandy Common Fishes of Nebraska Identification Guide on me it states:

Channel Cat 24-29 rays in the anal fin, spots not present on large fish
    Blue Cat 30 or more rays in the anal fin

thats all the help that I can be of, could be a channel? It looks like it may have a pigment abnormality like piebaldism - I think thats the word for it, it is basically a complete lack of pigment in areas of the skin, unlike an albino or partial albino which have the pigment in the skin, it is just white or pinkish.

TA2D

Aaron

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Looks like a partial albino channel to me.

14. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Is the tail forked? It's hard to tell in the picture.. Could it possibly be a cross breed or a mutation of some kind?

15. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    have cout them on the ark riv before kerr system grand ma used to call them appalousa cats. old school

16. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Have Caught Several Lately Here In FL. That Very Closely Resemble The One In Your Picture.

The First One I Caught, I Paraded It Around Asking Everyone What It Was & Most Of THem Said The Same Thing,"Speckled Catfish". IMHO I Believe That The Ones Here Are Some Type Of Mutation Due To All The Fertilizer Runoff We Get From The Nearby Sugarfields.

Letcha Know If I Find Out Otherwise, Elliot:embarassed:

17. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Excuse me, but could you please refrain from using capitals at the beginning of every word? Makes it easier to read. :)

And yeah, speckled catfish sounds like a fitting name. :)

18. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Almost looks like a cross between a flathead and a channel that didn't get all the pigments right, head and tail resemble a flat when zoomed in on. But beats me still a cool looking fish.

19. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Did you catch him near a nuclear power plant?

20. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have seen some very similar to that one, my grandfather has some like it in his small ponds and he calls them Appalousa cats and are very rare and could be cross breeds of different cats mostly from the bullhead family.
    Thats about all I can tell you but if you find out for sure, let us know so we can get it right.

AL