what kinda catfish in Cordell Hull?

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Jedicazador, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    I dont want to sound dumb but what kinda catfish area ya'll catching at Cordell? I was able to finally get into some channels nothing much bigger than 2.5 lbs on some secret 7 that was recommended, but am I wasting my time looking for Flatheads or Blues? Where are those monsters?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wish I knew..I haven't fished that way much..Not to familiar even though its close to me..I've been fishing mainly Old Hick..Now that I got my boat going though I can get familiar with Cordell Hull..:big_smile:

3. tndogman

tndogman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Flatheads, blues and channels should be in all of the river impoundments in middle Tn .... channels are the most common and the most apt to hit anything from what I understand, so that is probably why you are catching them first. From what I hear, you need to fish cut bait or live bait for the best chance at blues, and flatheads of any size will probably only go for live fish .... the stink baits work on channels mostly. Hope you find some.

4. festus

festus New Member

I haven't fished the reservoir of Cordell Hull, but used to fish below the dam years ago and caught channels and blues. There should be flatheads in there, too.

5. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    You need small bluegill (LIve) for flatties!

6. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    get below the dam use skip jack or shad and gills as well it real deep there. fish down the drop and hang on.

7. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    dont know what you mean by the drop?? do you mean off the spillways?

8. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a place above Granville and fish Cordell Hull all the time. All three are there. Live bluegill works great for flathead and blues. I also catch bullheads on liver and use them for flatheads. About a 6 inch bullhead works great. The biggest blue I caught was 19 lbs, channel was 14 lbs and flathead was 17 lbs. The livers work good for channels from 2 to 9 lb range. I also get a blue or flathead on them every now and then. Skipjack and cut bait will get bigger fish, but I like to eat my catch, so the 2 to 9 pound range is perfect for me.

9. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Welcome to the BOC Thrasher!

10. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Jugger, this is a great forum.