"What kinda cat is that?" said the man in the hat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfisherfromball, Sep 2, 2006.

1. I went fishin in da Gulf of Mexico in louisiana and was fishin for redfish and started catchin dese little silver cats wit regular size barbs, just dey someting like a wisker goin even further out, but dese little fish, only da longest wuz maybe 6 inche(look at da pic I got)...den I started catchin some a little bigger dat looked like a flatheadexcept dey wuz silver in colorand dey didnt have da long tingys on da barbs and da biggest wuz maybe two pounds and keeyaawww dey put up a fight. I wuz wonderin are dese good to eat( A cajun wants to try to eat anything he can...:lol: ) but anyway I didnt get any redfish but had a time catchin alot of dese cats... remember all dese are from da gulf in salt water....

Attached Files:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I call them Hardtop catfish. I am sure other people call them different names though.

3. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lol dats de gafftop i garantee. i live in texas 26 miles from the gulf reds trout flounder etc......:big_smile:

4. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    oh yea there good to eat .

5. What kind is da big ones???no long tingys on dem dere barbs for sure....

6. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    the ones no thingys on the barbs maybe a hard head, no good ta eat to muddy.hope this helps

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The first one is a hardtop the second one is a

Description:
    Gafftopsail catfish are elongate sea catfishes that grow to 2 - 3.5 feet. The head is depressed and the mouth inferior. Body color is blue-gray or steely dorsally, white to silver ventrally. Two pairs of barbels are present: one pair on the upper jaw, and one pair under the chin. The barbels on the jaw are elongated filaments that may reach beyond the origin of the pectoral fins. A black or dark blue adipose fin is present between the dorsal and caudal fins. Characteristic are the elongate, ribbon-like filaments that extend from fin spines on both the dorsal and pectoral fins.

Habitat:
    Gafftopsail catfishes are common in shallow coastal waters, and bays. They enter estuaries seasonally.

Range:
    Gafftopsail catfishes range from South Carolina south to Brazil including the Gulf of Mexico. They are absent from the Antilles.

[​IMG]The gafftopsail catfish, Bagre marinus. Illustration by Diana Rome Peebles. Courtesy of Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Division of Marine Fisheries.
    [​IMG]
    Like other sea catfishes, including the hardhead catfish (Arius felis), the gafftopsail catfish is a mouth brooder. After spawning, males carry fertilized eggs in the mouth until larvae hatch in approximately 1 month. Larvae may be carried an additional 2 - 4 weeks until they mature into juvenile fishes. Throughout the brooding period, the parent fish does not feed

8. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lol now thats a answer.wow i didnt know they were mouth brodders like the syclids thanks brother

9. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    Thank you for being so thorough, Benji.
    Lisa