What kinda batter for fried catfish?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JHalden, Jul 23, 2009.

1. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey everybody I've only had channel cat and I had it in that Louisiana fish fry it was great but I kinda wanted somethin with more spice. How do you all llike to fry up your catfish? Oh and have any of you tried those panko bread crums?

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    have you tried the new louisana fish fry new orleans style its great:wink:

3. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Andys in the orange bag !!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Corn meal spiced and seasoned to taste and hot cooking oil. Stay safe and happy eating!!!:wink:

5. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Try House-Autry's seasoned fish batter, pretty good stuff!

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hey man try some "dipping sauce".... catsup, horseradish, and wasabe ... brings anything back to life:cool2:

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    No batter,, I want to taste fish instead of dough.

4cups flour + 2 cups cornmeal =1 1/2 packs ritz crackers( Small/fine crushed)

3Tbs Black pepper + 1 1/2Tbs Salt ,1Tbs Paprika, ADD any spices to at this time() etc... Mix all ingredients well in 1 Gal Zip-Lock.

Pat dry fillets and drop in bag, Shake to coat and remove from bag, Shakeing off excess, drop into deep frier, cook until floating and golden .

Check and see if the flesh is translucient/flaky white in color(not dry) Pull from oil and drain on paper towels...

At this time sprinkle with more spices if needed, It pulls the flavor into the coating better while it is hot.

Eat till ya POP..:eek:oooh::wink:

8. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    +1

Just let what sticks to the moisture in the meat stay on and shake the rest off.

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I dont' think bread crumbs will make it spicy? The wife buys some and I use them sometimes but it doesn't add much.

Kenny's recipe is pretty normal. I mean the way you add some stuff to some flour and then bounce the fillets in the combo.

I lay out the damp fillets and sprinkle them with cajun salt or whatever and then toss them on some flour and flip. The salt sticks to the fillets really good this way. It isn't diluted in a bunch of flour. It takes a few cups of flour to get a good coating. When it gets damp it doesn't stick to the meat. Definitely shake them off and I like to let the breading dry for 10 minutes. I think it helps it stick to the fillet.

10. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    pancake mix with salt and pepper, use 7-up instead of water, to mix, makes a sweet batter, man i'm hungry now :roll_eyes:

11. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I have heard that is pretty good stuff, but never tried it.

I'm with Flamekeeper , I want to taste fish, not batter. I usually use straight corn meal, some times add a little flour. Guess its the southern country boy in me, but I like the taste and texture of corn meal. I season it with salt moslty, occasionaly lemon pepper, and Old Bay every now and then. I'f your wanting heat, I'd add a little powder red pepper.

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I like Andy's or if you really want some spice try bass pro, hot and spicy its got kick to it.

13. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I'm pretty simple, too. Corn meal with a bit of flour, and season salt til it shows reddish color. That's all I need right there!

14. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is all good stuff. I start with a yellow cornmeal base. Then I add garlic powder , paperika ,salt , ground black pepper , little white flower and here it is My secret for all to share (powered ranch) OOOooooo boy!!

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    House Autry is great, but not real spicy. Bass Pro Shops sells an Uncle Bucks that is good, too, with spicy versions. I don't batter mine, but rather bread them in the mix.
    Home mixed corn meal/flour seasoned to taste is hard to beat, too.
    For a treat, try soaking the catfish fillets in buttermilk, drain, then roll in the breading. :big_smile:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  16. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Tony Chachere' is pretty good to.

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a27:

18. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    8 eggs 1 can mountain dew thats yje batter,house of autry seafood breading double dip it and deep fry,then enjoy...

19. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Old school for me..............corn meal/salt/pepper.
    ....but if you do want more spice, try regular corn meal with cajun seasoning, that Tony Chacares (spelled wrong) is great.

20. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    2/3 cup corn meal
    1/3 cup flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper or cajun spice to taste
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup milk

Beat eggs and add milk. Dredge fillets in batter and dredge in corn meal/flour mixture. Deep fry til golden brown. Pass the hush puppies!

:cool2:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009