What kinda bait have you caught catfish with?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jcozee1, Feb 27, 2006.

1. jcozee1

jcozee1 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Was thinkin', and I haven't been havin' much luck lately:sad: so I was wonderin' what y'all have had the most luck with?

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Freash cut bait seems to be the best bait I use.

3. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I agree fresh cut or live bait. Worms and Dip bait if your looking for smaller faster biting cats , Good luck

4. jcozee1

jcozee1 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks, I've been seeing and hearing from some people in my town that there have been some good sized cats at a river nearby, but nobody has been able to get them to bite. Thanks for the info.

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    fresh cut shad and skipjack

6. bestcatterindaNATI25

bestcatterindaNATI25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Try some cut bait like shad or creek chubs. If that doesnt work try some chicken liver

7. boogalee

boogalee New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    During the hunting season, we use fresh squirrel liver and it works great. Just tried some fresh rabbit liver with mixed result.Beef and calf liver don't come close.
    Thanks

8. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Don't forget the spam, that big cat in Arkansas was caught on spam.

9. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    And if your not getting bites you can eat it! LOL

10. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I always think fishing with live bait is the best year round untill the ones in my bait tank die and i get them out and hook em good and step on them till their guts explode then i give em a big Sling and wait... dont real in until atleast 2 hrs... if not all night... usually have good results... if this dont work get about 3 nightcrawlers on a hook and put a piece of cut bait with it,... a little variety gets em going.

11. kycat

kycat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have good success with small creek chubs by themselves for the smaller channel cats. I use live Gills and Goldfish, fresh cutbaits for blues and flats.

I have also read and found out that small bullheads are a tasty treat for monster flats. Just trim the stingers and fins of the bulls and the flats will destroy them. I try to find them about 8 to 10" long.

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

In the winter for me: it's "Cut or Live Bait" - In the summertime for me: 'it's "Dip-Bait".
    :0a23:
    Take it easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

13. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I caught catfish with mullet chunks, cutbait and redworms.Not personally the redworms but my neighbors friend went with us with them and caught fish with em.Thats all he uses so I know they work.

14. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    For channel, I have had my best luck with chicken liver,crawdad tails, and leopard frogs. I try to put a little of each on the hook at the same time. Don't know if this helps but it doesn't seem to hurt. For flatheads I use 4-6" crappie or perch.Good luck

15. wildman36

wildman36 New Member

State:
    oregon
    for channels I like to use fresh cut shad and sucker guts, dks punch bait is about the only dip bait ive had luck with.

16. catd11rnky

catd11rnky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hogwild from walmart works really well also.

17. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    Live Or Cut Bluegill,shad Or Suckers

18. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've done pretty good with fresh cut bait, and sometimes worms/nitecrawlers will produce also. My local tackle/bait shop has frozen bass minnows (which he scoops up from his bait tanks and puts in containers into the freezer.) which work very well after they thaw out.
    Convenient to use and very effective, especially in the river. One minnow on the hook would catch a cat....two minnows usually attracts an ol' snappin' turtle. Give the frozen bass minnows a chance if you can find them in your area. Good luck !

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've had lots of success using fresh cut shad and skipjack. Backup baits don't work nearly as well, but they may be available when I can't get shad or skipjack. I've had some success with the following: cured chicken livers; chitlings flavored with garlic, anise, or shrimp flavor packets from Ramen noodles; salt pork; bacon.

20. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    All the usual suspects and..... Pork liver, Deer meat soaked in chicken blood and any sort of dough ball flavored with anise.
    A buddy of mine's wife will only use cheap hotdogs..it's embarrassing how often she smokes us.