What kind

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by onlyone, Mar 15, 2006.

1. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I am looking at buying a .17 HMR. Anyone have any suggestions as to which brand? I am thinking either savage or marlin.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Icurrently own a 22lr in marlin which ive had for bout 35 years i love it inexpensive and very accurate i also own a ruger17/77 real fine rifle feels like a big game rifle cost about as much too i love it but think for the money i spent i could have got a less expensive make and had just as much fun when i shoot it

3. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    You won't go wrong with either. I perfer the savages looks (bet that's a first!!!) but looks don't kill. I doesn't matter, both are accurate. You might look at CZ rifles too.

4. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello,

I just bought a new marlin 22lr model 60 semi-automatic in stainless steal with a small scope last fall for real cheap. The guy I bought it from sadly couldn't hunt anymore because his eye sight went bad. At the time I was willing to pay around a 150 bucks from a store but the guy came out and told me he would sell me his brand new marlin 22 that had never been shot before for 65 bucks, I almost wet my pants. He also gave me about 1000 rounds bullets, I just couldn't buy it for that cheep so I gave him a 100 for it. Well all I can say is that this is might nice little 22, it is really accurate. I would recommend you to give marlin a try.

Take Care!

Sincerely, Kevin

5. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i would wait a couple months to buy a 17 cal.
    if you ever had a ruger 10/22, just wait for the 10/17. it will be awesome.
    catwacker

6. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I dont know about a .17 but I own a marlin .22 bolt action and you cant find a more accurate rifle .If you dont mind me asking why a .17 and not a .22 magnum John House just published a book on rimfire rifles you should read some of the bullistics on both depending on what your hunting .The .17 is faster but doesnt have the punch man im gonna get flammed now .

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The savage is a good choice, I was talking to a owner of a local gun shop and he had nothing but good things to say about the savage in .17. They also have a scope specificaly built for that gun.

8. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. I think I'm going to go with Savage. The one I'm looking at has that accutrigger. I've heard once you shoot one of those you'll fall in love. I think they're really easily adjusted. Anyone have any experience with an "accutrigger"? I Never have shot one.