what kind,what size? live bait...

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by catfishbrett, Jul 26, 2008.

1. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    what kind and what size hooks do you use when fishing large live bait,sunfish,suckers and big chubs?

i use whatever my baitdealer has in at the time,but i'm looking to buy a box of 100 and would like all of your info
    thanks-catfish brett

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use perch, carp, and bullheads, and i use size 7 octopus circles from vmc. a lot of us on here use bigger, but this works for me. more often than not i will pirce the skin in and out instead of hooking meat. this seems to keep my bait more lively. i also do not get to fish current or have to cast very far, so i can get away with it.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Brett, when I fished that section of the river, used the 8/0 Gamakatsu wide gap circle hooks and 7/0 Daiichi circle chunk lights when using bluegills and creek chubs. I used Eagle Claw 9/0 and 10/0 king kahles for the suckers. Last time I was at Cabelas they carried the king kahles. If you want to rig a stinger hook, I would suggest using one the 7/0 sickle hooks from Wild Wolf products (Akwolf41).

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  5. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    thanks for all your help guys,with the price of a pack of hooks now you cant but help to buy in bulk. alot of times the price of the hooks + s&h is cheaper than the store:angry: