what kind of weights to make?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by medford, Jan 15, 2009.

1. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    :confused2: thinking about getting equipment to pour my own weights but what size and kind of molds to buy on the various sizes of weights for my fishing?

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Steve I bought a pot and went with bank sinker mold upto#5's to start with they are good all round sinkers and have been getting a few more molds here and there over the years yer No-Rolls and Eggs are prety pouplar to ...Its quite expensive at first... I think I have bout 300-400 bucks ivvested somewhere in there but its a good long term investment..I supply bout 10 of us with sinkeres every year so what I have invested is helping everyone out and paying for it all.I want to get a egg mold 3/4-1 maybe 11/2?? yet.....Id consider what you mainley buy now and go from there.I am hoping to get a few sinkers at the gatherin come may I am bringin lead but I am not gonna pack all my equiptment fer Lack of space / travel. I bet in a yrs time just in my boat we use several hundred dolleres in sinkeres thinkin bout it.....do yer homework and compare it all think you will find it being the way to go also...Fishing fer me is a lifestyle /addiction and gotta save where ever I can to keep it giong & expand in feedin it.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Also if yer like me I like to depend on no one so having yer own equiptment is a must!

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I make my own flat bank sinkers in 3 to 8 oz size, plus regular bank sinkers in 10 and 12 oz. Those are the only kind of sinker I use, other than 1/8 oz. egg sinkers for making drifting weights - and it's way too much trouble trying to pour those little things so I just buy them by the 5 lb box.

As for brand of mold, about all you will find these days is Do-It brand, and they all run around $30 to $35 per mold, regardless of style.

Just poking around on the Do-It website and found they've got a "starter kit" for a good price - you get a ladle, melting pot and mold for the price of the mold alone. http://www.do-itmolds.com/product.aspx?i=775 or http://www.do-itmolds.com/product.aspx?i=776

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    You really can not beat getting a no roll mold. I love them in rivers or lakes. Plus they are popular so it seems they are a little more expensive than a different style weight at a similar size

6. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I have been very happy with the no-roll type sinker mold. I have a "hot-pot" that is a little hard to pour by hand, so I made the entry points a little wider at the top of the mold. If I had to do it again, I would buy a melting pot that was elevated and that has a bottom release for the molten lead. Just my thoughts.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Get a good Lee pot that holds 20lbs or more of lead if yer pouring big sinkers 20lbs is not alot when ya think bout it 160z =1lb..5oz sinkers...3 of them is basicalley a pound.....ya can pour some weight fast .....my pot ran bout 100 bucks 4 yrs ago and I have no clue what there gettin now:roll_eyes:

8. Ruffneck

Ruffneck New Member

State:
    De Soto, Missouri
    I started using 6 to 8 oz no rolls in the river few years ago and I love them. If I'm fishing in lakes or smaller rivers 1 to 4 oz egg sinkers seem to work fine I reckon it all depends on depth and the current of water you are fishing

9. Wanda BARNER

Wanda BARNER Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Wanda
    E-Bay has a good selection of molds, listed under , sinker molds , and lots of lead under lead sinkers- the lead is a little high I think but its easy . The molds like the Do-It, are price cheaper than direct from Do-IT. I use bank and no-roll both, and lean mostly to the bank , if i had to choose i would go with the bank.

10. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just got back from molding sinkers at my uncles house. We probably did somewhere between 20 and 30 pounds of sinkers today. We've still got quite a bit of lead. We started with a 100 lb bar. Should be set for the year.