What kind of trolling motor?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by mhbomber, Dec 1, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I have a 19 foot Carolina Skiff DLX and I am looking for a trolling motor. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Minn Kota Auto-Pilot, 65 pound thrust is what I use for a 22 foot skiff. Be sure and unplug your power source to the trolling motor when you are charging your battery.

3. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Thanks Mac....you da man!

4. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I have a minnkota 65# lb thrust although I did not go with the auto pilot feature and that will pull you along fine and the battery life is good as well.

I actually have one new in the box that I would sell for 475.00 plus shipping.

What happened was I bought the trolling motor and was several months before I installed it. Well just my luck it was defective out of the box and I had it to long to do a store return and had to send it off to minn kota to be repaired.

Well to make a long story short I was leaving to go camping the next week and needed a trolling motor so I went and bought another new one and installed it for the trip. So any way I got the one I sent off to minn kota back after they repaired it and I have not even opened the box where they sent it back. It is brand new,54" shaft, power drive and was mounted on the boat but has never been in the water.

5. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I have a 20' V-Cat with an 84lb minn kota auto pilot. I LOVE it. It is great for drifting. You can get the remote control and run it from anywhere in the boat. they are expensive but they are amazing. just point it in the direction you want to go and forget about it!!

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    My 19 bay has a MK 65 AT. It pulls boat fine but will work you to death for controlled drifting. I am going to upgrade to auto pilot after the first of the year.
    65 pound thrust will work fine for your boat unless you are fishing tidal or currents. If you are fishing currents go bigger.
    Saving my pennies now.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a motor-guide 75# with wireless remote, works great.