What kind of treble hook do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by PTDixieGal, Aug 26, 2008.

What kind of treble hook do you prefer to use when you're using stinkbait?

1. A treble hook without spring.

2. A treble hook with spring.

3. I don't use a treble hook.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    What kind of treble hook do you prefer when you're using stinkbait?

2. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    a size 4 treble hook with spring. The bait stays on better with this.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Girl I am gonna duck on this one here comes the cpr crew & its gonna get ugly! (I use the same )

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i use trebl with out when i use them whitch is not to often latly but when thay are eating sonnys its usly eater size fish so im not cpring thoes anyway

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Three styles of stinkbait:
    Dough Baits------Treble with spring
    Dip Bait-----
    -Looper rig with treble or other hooks offered.
    Punch Bait-------Large treble

This is a general guideline.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont use any of the prepared baits, so I really dont have a need for trebles.:big_smile:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    To be honest I adhor trebels,I use them sometimes with a locally made dip type bait,But I find myself making my own dipworms with a garlic scented rubber worm and a circle hook now days, as for dough baits,My gramma used straight J baitholders and I still do too. I dont have any trouble keeping it on the hook,or at least the last time I used dough ,Its been over 4 years,I have just about thrown all my prepared baits away and only use fresh liver,shad or cut carp nowdays.

8. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Single hook guy here, and ussually about 8 sizes smaller than you guys who fish for trophys.

1's, 2's, and 4's in my box, and the 1's only come out when I'm fishing big chunks of cut bait. Well, big for me anyway.

9. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    My hooks are simple. #4 trebles w/ spring for dough baits, #4 trebles w/o spring for worms, and #1 Gamakatsu octopus hooks for live/cut bait.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Now why would you think that the CPR guys would care what kind of treble hook you use with dip/dough baits, LOL!!! Those baits seldom catch anything big enough for the Catch and Release guys to worry about, LOL!!!
    I see no need here for a CPR debate!!!

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    if we go ten pound back yer gonna get mad.....not uncommon round here fer sonny to get ya a 10-15 here and there but your right most tropheys will be caught on bait from the water you fish....no doubt bout that.

12. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The last time I used a trebel hook the fish swallowed it so far down that it was impossible to take it out without killing the fish so I decided to stop using them altogether.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I am pretty much with this guy. I stopped using trebles(for catfish) about two years ago. It was too much of a pain to get out and about a 1/3 of the time the catfish wound up mortally wounded. Also the prepared stink baits dont work well around these rivers....

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    me too. i only use them fishing ponds with liver. very seldom use them myself.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    to hard to get out especally if you get one hook in the top lip and one in the bottom:angry:

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Beleive it or not I take the treble hook off the stink bait worms and put #4 circles on . Seems like I catch more fish and haven't had one swallow the hook yet. Hate it when they swallowed the hook...

17. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  18. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bought a big bucket of sudden impact when it first came out, and when I was trying it out, I posted a tread similar to this, without the poll. I was curious about the whole spring idea, so I broke a couple pens, and bought a couple packs of springs from the hardware store, and made some up.

I made some # 8, 6, and 4s, and after using them a couple times, they didn't seem to make a noticable difference, so I quit using them. One of the other major issues I was having, was that it was harder to remove the fiber bait when I was done and cleaning up.

As of now though, I'm done using trebles and all stink bait. Been having a lot more success with cut bait, and larger fish. :cowboy:

19. M Pain

M Pain New Member

State:
    N. Central Pa
    If / When I use a treble its with a TC dip tube or a furry thing.

If you go big 4/0 and up its easier to keep them alive if you cpr them.