What kind of spot lights do you use on your boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Grits, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Hello Everyone

I am contemplating mounting a spotlight, of some kind, on my boat. I fish the Arkansas River often at night. A Q-Bean is getting to be a pain in the bad shoulder I have plus I always drop it.

What kind of spot lights do you fellows use and like.

I have a 19' center console without a T-Top. Where would be the best place to mount it?

My first thought was to mount a Go Light or something similiar on the bow; however, I am always open to ideas and suggestions.

Thank you for your help and support.

Grits

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have two 55 watt docking lights, and two 100 watt fog lights mounted to the front of my boat which is fine if you really KNOW the river and there are no real bad shallow spots. I also bought a remote control spotlight that I plan to mount on a pole right beside the side console.

Good Luck and be safe.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is just preference, but I prefer a hand held light over a mounted light just about and day (or should I say night) of the week. Your boat is a captive of a mounted light... in order to see to the right or left, you have to turn the boat. Then the angle of the light in relation to the surface of the water makes it very difficult to see. To top that off, I believe in several states it is illegal to operate a boat with "driving" lights except at a dock.

4. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    i know a "white" light attracts bugs from miles around but i heard red or yellow lights cut down on glare,night-blindness, and the bugs ..can anyone confirm this? Thought about a red bulb mounted low in bow to see where your walking and a bigger yellow light to look with.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd recommend you research the USCG rules for your particular area. Most states incorporate these rules into their laws/regulations.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You will find that running at night using lights you cant see as far as you can without using lights.
    If you play around with alot of white light and cigarette lighters while on your boat, you'll never see a thing.
    Keep the light to a minimum and let them puils get BIG.

I've never owned a spotlight and fished for years at night.
    I found that good 1/4 mile beam flashlight or a 5 cell maglite is the only light I've ever needed. I only use that for spot checking or looking for a landmark.

Yea, I fish rivers too.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Try that around here from my boat and you'll likely get grounded.... so to speak.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I've got a spotlight that was ment for an ATV and mounted it to My grabrail around My center console. works great!