What kind of smoke do you blow?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by bootshowl, Nov 5, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I've tried black powders & Pyrodex. Loose & pellets. Doing the Pyrodex pellets now just for convenience. The guns are so accurate & dependable now. I noticed a lot of folks are using Triple 7, which I think is the newest, or one of the newest. I haven't tried it yet.
    What do you like & why?

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Boots you knew i wouldn't use anything but Triple 7 :smile2:. Seriously i used FFG in the old renegade and liked it. I tried the pyrodex and just didn't care for it. I got a traditions pursuit pro break open for Christmas a couple of years ago and switched to triple 7 50/50 pellets. I tried different combinations and that gun shoots the best with 100 grains and Barnes expander EZ sabots. I like the conveniance of the pellots as compared to the powder. They also come in different grains so you can test with different grains of powder charges until you find what works the best in your gun.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    100 grains of pyradex and 225 grains buffalo bullets works for me.

4. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I used Pyrodex for a couple seasons then switched to triple seven. I think it's cleaner burning. I know from experience not to use the cva powerbelts, tested them through 4 different guns and didn't pattern to well. Stuck with the sabbots.

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    100 grains of pyrodex pellets. So much easier to just drop a couple pellets in then messing around measuring out powder.

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I use the Triple 7 pellets, 100 grains to be exact. I've found that they burn much cleaner than Pyrodex, and I think I get quite a bit more umph with the same load. I also use the Remington Kleanbore primers now as well. I think they make a difference over the regular 209 primers. With my old blackpowder rifle, there was a very noticeable difference in the amount of "gunk" buildup by the breech between the older 209 primers & the Kleanbore primers.

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    777 50 gr x 3 240 gr bt its a great load:wink:

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Love those 777 pellets. Burn pretty clean and VERY convenient. 3 50gr. pellets and a 250grain sabot. Very accurate out of my Traditions Pursuit, but kicks pretty good too

9. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i use the pyrodex pellts, but with so many of you saying good stuff about the tripple 7 i am gonna try them. i agree that the powerbelt bullets do not pattern near as good as sabot's. i am now using the thompson sabot's and am getting really good groups with them. are any of you guys shooting the cva optima elite rifles. i am full time rv now and am looking at an optima elite so i can travel with one gun case and have muzzleloader, rifle, and shot gun without carrying all the gun cases i have right now.

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have always bought Knight sabots and Hornady 45 XTP's in 180 grain and made up my rounds that way. I started out with pyrodex powder and switched to Cleanshot sulphurless powder a few years ago. Can't find it anymore so switched to 777 pellets to give it a try. My sabots didn't seem to be very consistent so this year I tried the TC sabots in 200 grain and they do group much better at 100 yards with 100 grains of 777 pellets. Much easier to sight in with them. I have two blackpowder rifles. One is a CVA in-line, much like the Apollo they used to sell. It is my backup these days. I have a friend that sold me a Traditions Evolution Bolt action last year for $50.00 and it is a great rifle. And it is like new. If I ever buy another one, I will probably go for the TC Omega. Two of my friends have one and they do work great.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    what kind of smoke do i blow?Well that depends on who you ask i reckon.lol
    Naw i like the triple seven not the pelets but the kind you mesure yourself.

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    FFFg Goex and a patched .54 cal ball...............I'm a relic I know:crazy:

13. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Charlie you ain't the only one,I have and old CVA .45 round ball rifle that likes 90 gr of 3f black behind a tight patched round ball.My Knight inline likes 2 50gr Pyrodex pellets,the last deer I killed with it was behind my pickup 75 yds away so I had to hold 4in above the bed for a neck shot,the truck lived and the deer died.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm using 100 grains of loose Pyrodex behind a .50 cal Powerbelt in my Ruger, and 70 grains of black powder and a patched round ball in my Hawken