What kind of sinkers would you make...

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by REDLEG_5, Dec 12, 2009.

1. REDLEG_5

REDLEG_5 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    if you were gonna buy a mold and had unlimited access to soft lead?

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I will depend on where ya fish. I fish lakes so I use egg sinkers..... that's what I bought.

-Jim-

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I would buy a no roll and use sinker slides. That way you can fish still or moving water.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I fish a river and lakes,

I've used everything from steel nuts, washers, to spark plugs for weights.. and,, they work pretty good!!

Lead weights if you buy them are ghastly expensive,,

I have a Bank style mold, so, that's what I use.. and do with that..
    Preference,, I like sharp edged, or pyramid sinkers for the river, as well as bell sinkers.
    the bottom is sand up to riprap , so, weight loss is gonna happen. the current is more powerful than any style, in weight or shape. It all moves, for me at least.. from the bank anyway,, boat fishing is different.. in the presentation,, My experience...

The lakes,, seems anything, heavy enough will work.....size depends on bait.,,,,, for bottom rigging. Float rigs not so picky..

In the lakes, finding some current seems to help my sets, as I'm more used to some current in the river to help actuate the bait.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wish I had a problem like you."Unlimited supply of soft lead". I like the no roll sinker molds. Can be used both lake and river. Size depends on current.

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just the 6 sided banksinker works good anywhere, rigged any way ya can think of. Easy to pour in sizes 2 to 16 ounce. Has a lead eye so no wires to fuss with.

7. REDLEG_5

REDLEG_5 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Welder and everyone else for your input. My buddy is a roofer and keeps all the lead boots from the tearoffs. He has about 60 or so right now. Told me to take all of them so I did. I was gonna buy a mold from CC but before I spent the money I thought I'd find out what ya'll thought. Thanks again everyone!!! Looks like 6-8 oz. banks it is!!:big_smile:

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i really like disc sinkers, mainly cause they have the eyelet and its easy to change weights or take off when using sinker slides

9. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I would make no rolls or drift weights...

10. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC

I agree, I bought a river sinker mold that makes 2, 3 and 4 ounce weights and have made hundreds. Like the man says river sinkers are easy to change out or double up if needed when using sinker slides. I prefer the sinker slides sold by The Catfish Nation. Using the sinker slides allow you to easily take your sinker off your rig when traveling and storing your rods, this helps prevent damage to the rod guides.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009