What kind of sinkers are good for river fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by billcatfish, Jul 17, 2006.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    what sinkers are good for fishing the rivers. going to start making my own.plese help thanks for the info

2. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For my Carolina Rigs I use no-roll sinkers, up to 5 oz. when current is ripping. For my 3-way rigs I use cannonball sinkers up to 6 oz.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    No rolls are my choice from 2-5 oz.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    In the Ohio River I will use from 4s to sometimes 6s with even 8s in high water conditions. If not having enough weight it can be unfishable.

Hope this helps

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Billcatfish, itall depends on the type of fishing you are doing. the library is full of info about sinkers. I have probably 15 different sizes and types in my catfishing tacklebox.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bill I fish the Ohio often and I use 5 ounce bank sinkers for two reasons. One they have always performed well and two cause I have two molds for them. Vern

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You may also consider finding a good automotive repair shop and get the old spark plugs they throw away. They make good break-a-way or sacrificial sinkers. Other than that, I would suggest, as others have, that you use a no-roll (or no-snag) sinker in low to moderate current, and a claw sinker in heavy current. Course the choice is all yours.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just about any sinker will work, but make sure you have them in several sizes, up to at least 5-0z

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive got a honey hole on the elm fork of the trinity river thats snag heaven. Either you catch a fish or break off. I started takeing heavy gauge copper or what ever wire and stripping the coating off it and cutting it to the size of weight i need i then take a pair of needle nose pliars and make a tight loop in one end which makes a place to tie onto. Works great for me if it does in between some rocks it will either bend on just pull right threw. Ive heard of some people useing claw sinkers but they are a little pricey. If im not fishing hang up heaven then im useing no roll sinkers uselly 2 to 3oz.

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Flat Bank Sinkers 3-5oz is all I use. I would like to get a mold for some 6 & 7oz ones though.