what kind of shotgun for my son?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by BassCat, Nov 13, 2008.

1. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    My son is 7 yrs old, and im looking for a shotgun for him, he's shot my 410 before, but its kinda heavy for him to hold up. Ive looked at the mossburg bantam's, I just need opinions on what wouldnt kick to awful bad, hes wanting to hunt deer and turkey with me. send me your suggestions
    Thankyou,
    Michael

2. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    you can get a youth model 410 for pretty cheap and it wont be to heavy. i wanna say mossberg and reminington have good youth models

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Been looking myself also for my 10 year old. 410 shells are expensive and he will outgrow that pretty quick. I've decided on a 20 guage and looking pretty hard at a Remington Youth 20 gauge pump. 18 1/2 barrel, light and can be used for for about any hunting from squirrels up to deer. Lighter loads shouldn't be too bad for him or wait a year or two.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think todays youth pump guns all are good. I got my daughter a youth single shot 20 from NEF last yr,I have shot it with 3" and it aint too bad,it bout knocked my daughter over tho.

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    rossi combo.. they have them with a rifle and a shotgun barrel.. all 3 of my girls have them .. 1 20g and 2 .410s with .22mag ,.22lr and .17hmr rifle barrels they are right at $100 for a combo at most big stores... they are light enough that i start my girls shooting the .22lr at 4yrs old..

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I would and have bought all my kids and grandkids a 20 guage Remington 870.
    It is a gun that they can and will use the rest of their lives. A youth model or do as I did and get a used stock and cut it down until they can use the bigger one.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I would probably go 870 20ga youth model. Its fairly light with its short barrel and stocks. I wouldn't think a .410 throws much of a pattern for turkey hunting, but i could be wrong. Also, .410 isn't legal for deer hunting here, and is very expensive to feed. A .410 will also require a better shooter because of the smaller pattern, if your son doesn't pick up on it real quick, it may discourage him, where as the 20 ga is a little more forgiving with its bigger pattern. Plus when he outgrows the 870 youth gun just put a set of adult stocks on it and it'll fit him forever.

8. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ya would have to go with a single shot 410 and the rossi would make a great gun for a beginner and what a deal you get a 22LR along with it and at 5 3/4lb not to heavy http://www.rossiusa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=114 , and having a rossi 38spl myself I would trust the quality for the money:wink:

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I started my son out on a 410 single shot when he was 8 yrs old. When he was 12 I bought him a used 20 ga. remingtom pump. He shot his first deer with a 357 lever action rifle when he was 9 yrs old. These guns are still with us and we have lots of fun hunting together. I think it is important not to let them use a over powered gun for their age. Just kinda step them up as they grow up and are able to handle larger guns. And it gives us a reason to buy a new gun or two!!!:smile2:

10. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    the Rossi tripple threat is the one I bought my boy last year and he is only 9. you can pick your barrels if you order from Rossi if you go to the store you get what they bought and have on hand. I say that because Rossi will let you put any barrel with any package. I went with the 20 guage for turkey. 243 rifle for his deer hunting and I think they all have a 22 rifle in the standard kits. O and I do think the 20 guage kicks alittle harder in the youth stock I think because the barrel is shorter but it does hit harder than my regular 20 guage but thats with HV turkey loads too so you might want to go with a lighter load but here in KY you can not hunt turkey with a 410 so 20 was the smallest he can get by with. and the rifle barrels start at 223 and go all the way up.
    If you buy a Rossi and a few years later down the road you want to add a barrel of a different size all you have to do is call Rossi and tell them what you want and you have to send your guns stock and front pice in to them (they say they make each barrel to the gun and that if you went and found a barrel from some where it would probably not fit your gun) and most IMPORTANT to me is all barrels are a single shot great for teaching I think.

11. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I got my somn several shot guns and the one he likes the most is the benelli (SP) super nova pump, it is light weight and has a fully ajustable stock, the price is up there but it is a military grade gun, and a cam locking bolt which take most of the recoil. the action is composit which means it is easy to take care of, My duck hunting partner has one as well and he droped it in the lake shook it out and replaced the shells and never missed a beat that day.

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    the Rossi has also got a hammer KEY LOCK for the parents. SAFTEY :wink: the one I bought will be a family airloom. the gun will not belong to my boy untill he gets well past the trade off the gun for beer or beer money stage of his life that most of us went through. but a good youth gun thats fairly cheap that wont get hurt while taking the abuse that a yougster will put it through. and to see it passed down to hopefuly grand kids:cool2:
    I would not use a regular gun and cut back the stock to fit a youth. the gun will still be too long and it will transfer the weight to the end of the gun and will make shooting for a youth very uncomfortable and I would think discourage them from future hunting.

13. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Leroy, you might be right but it has worked well for a little over a dozen kids, boys and girls, and all still hunt and shot trap and skeet with them. And the nice thing is that all still have them. Some was bought new, some used and I have always had some short improved cly barrels that keeps them short. The newer ones have the screw in chokes.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I got a .20 gage when I was 10. Still got it. .410 should be good for a 7 year old. A couple of months might make a difference, ya know , next shoe size. Hope this helps.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I would have never thought of pimping a gun of mine. Couldnt see doing that.:confused2:

16. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    we do silly things some times as young adults. I traded a 20 guage pump I got for x-mas from my dad one year for a go-cart the next summer sure had fun with the go-cart but looking back on it a few weeks later I kinda wished I didnt trade. I know it hurt my old mans feelings too letting the gun go for a go-cart:sad2:
    I am just hopping to help my boy past that time when he cant see/understand the value in something like that.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
  18. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    THE REMINGTON 870 YOUTH IS A GREAT RELIABLE GUN AND PRETTY CHEAP THE OTHER PLUS IS THAT YOU CAN ADD A FULL SIZE STOCK AS HE GROWS INTO IT

19. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I also would say to go with a pump gun. A single shot will teach the youngster to make the first shot count and that is what I started out on but most kids have trouble cocking the hammer which can be a safety hazard.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My opinion is there is no better place to start then on a 12 guage. It's what he is going to wind up shooting anyway.

I started on the 12 as a youngin and I was thin and lightweight.
    Recoil has never bothered me.
    Of course I was raised on one of the best shotguns made in the history of shotguns. A 40+ year old 870 Wingmaster. 33" full choke.
    I've shot alot of shotguns in my life and I've never ran across one as friendly.

Too heavy? I got a rifle that dressed out for shooting weighs 12 pounds.
    You dont just grab it and go stalking.
    I carried it out of season scouting just to stay on top of the weight of it.
    I'm not a 4 wheeler hunter. I've always walked to my stands. Dont matter if it's a mile away.

Kid wants a shotgun, let him train for it. The lighter the gun the more recoil it's gonna have. I would think less about a shotgun he'll grow out of and more into a shotgun he'll grow into. He aint going to get any smaller but we know he'll get bigger.

Just one man's opinion.