what kind of set up do you use when snagging for paddlefish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by fishinphenom, Mar 23, 2009.

1. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I got these from another thread.. but I was wondering what kind of set up does everyone use?

2. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I snag from the bank and I have 2 different setups that I use. If I have enough room I use a 14' pole with a spinning reel. If there is limited room I have a 10' pole with a spinning reel. I prefer 30Lb. Cajun Red, 12/0 hooks, and usually 5oz sinkers.

3. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have three different setups. Two are similar and one is very different.

Setup 1) Quantum surf spinning reel and Quantum 8' surf rod. I use 30 lb cajun red line, 2 or 3 ounce bank sinkers and 8/0 treble hooks. This was my first setup and my 8 year old son now uses it. The lighter sinkers keep him off the bottom and keep more hooks in my tackle box. It might limit the number of fish he snags though. The shorter pole works good for him and it's a little on the lighter side.

Setup 2) Quantum Bigger surf reel, Quantum 9' Big Cat rod, 30 lb cajun red line, 3 or 4 ounce bank sinkers and 10/0 treble hooks. This pole is a little stiffer and handles larger fish better. Most of all, my co-workers call me "Big Cat" so I have always liked this pole! :smile2:

Setup 3) Penn Baitcasting reel and 6'6" Tuna pole or "pool cue". This is my tight spot pole. Its stringed with the same line and gear as Setup 2. This pole is handy when there are a lot of people on the bank and not much room to snag.

As all 3 setups show, I don't like long rods. I have had people tell me over and over again, you need a longer rod to snag easier. I can stand beside people all day and catch just as many fish with my shorter rods It may be easier with a longer pole, but maybe some people are just lazy! :smile2:

4. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im with KSFish, I don't use the really long poles. I have 8' and 9' poles both with spinning reals. I use 50lb power pro line, with 2-3oz weights tied at the bottom, with 10/0 hook about a foot up from the sinker. I have stood side by side with guys useing 12'-14' poles with 5oz weights and I can almost always out cast them with my smaller rigs and have had no problem snagging or landing fish.

5. fishcrazy

fishcrazy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a 12' custom surf rod with Ambassadeor(Abu Garcia)7000 baitcaster spooled with 30LB cajun line, useing a 10/0 treble hook and 3-5oz bank sinker at 12-16 inchs from the hook.

My son uses a 7' big cat heavy action rod with a big water baitcaster spooled with 30LB big game mono line, and runs the same set-up as me as far as hook and wieght.

But as long as its a heavy action rod and you are comfortable with the way it feels in your hands, the reel is the most important part of the eqiupment its going to take the most stress out of the gear. Line is up in the air I watched my friend land a 68LB paddlefish with 20LB test line but he had a good reel with the dragg set wright. Sinker wieght just depends on the water speed your working.

Hope this helps and good fishing

6. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC Nathan... I went out to connor bridge a few weeks ago and tried snagging with my custom 13' rod.. what a pain! with all them overhead trees and stuff.. blegh..

So I switched to my 11'6 rod as well.. I use the same reel.. garcia 7000 with 30lb big game mono.. and basically the same setup with the treble and weight and everything..

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Nathan.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Several years back when I used to snag, I had a Penn 309 and a Calcutta cane cut to legal length with taped on eyes. This was a stiff but very affective set up. Would handle very heavy line 80# test mono. Most everyone used this setup at Ky Dam. Hope this helps.

9. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I use a penn 209 spooled with 100 lb power pro, on a 10 foot heavy action cat maxx rod. I generally use a 3-4 ounce sinker with a 10/0 treble about 12-18 inches above it then another 10/0 treble 3-4 feet above that one.

10. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    double trebled huh?

11. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In Missouri, you can use double trebled!! But here in Oklahoma we can't..

12. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    in missouri we can use 3 if we want.

13. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    that would be alot of trebles to lose if you got hung up or broke off...:eek:oooh: