What kind of scales do you use

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KatKaller, Feb 9, 2006.

1. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have been searching for a digital pair of scales that go up to 100lbs, for under $50. I was wondering what kind of scales you guys use for large cats.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    KatKaller, I'm not trying to high-jack your thread, just trying to keep this site clean.
    I use a Rapala 50# digital scale. I haven't had any trouble with it, but a curious thing happened the other day when I was weighing some lead, my scale read out at 66#s ! Has any one else experienced this? And can I trust the scales accuracy?:confused:

3. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Jack, I've got the same kind of scale and it will weigh more than it is rated at. I'm thinking the scale itself is designed to hold up to 50 lbs. If you put more than that on it and it breaks, (like the chain or guts) then you've got a broken scale. But I've had mine up to 78 lbs and it was accurate, or at least gave the same weight as my digital bathroom scale.
    KatKaller, can't help you on a 100 lber, sorry. No experience.
    Rat

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just got a berkley 50# scale.Not sure how good it is yet because i got it for christmas and had a chance to use it yet.As far as 100# one i havent seen one around my neck of the woods.

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    steve found this scale at Eastwood Lake i think. We thought it was only 50#s but we weighed a 60 pound Blue at the big river last spring. Its a Rapala

6. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    it was at Eastwood Nate.was there at night fishing for saugeye,

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I have a spring scale for 100# from Bass Pro. I want a 100# digital but haven't found one yet.

8. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have some scales that weight up to 120lbs. I got these off ebay. They are model #OCS-2.They are small in size but go up to 120lbs. They are really nice.

9. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    As stated above, I use the rapala 50# model. The river record is 49# so if I top the scale I'm happy!

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have never even had to worry about a 100 pound scale!!! LOL!!! I guess if I needed one that big I could use my scale I use to weigh deer on. It is spring loaded though.

The one I have now is the Rapala that goes to 50 pounds. Great scale. I just hook it onto the net with the fish in it and subtract the two pounds the net weighs. Don't have to fiddle with hooking the gill opening.

I have not seen a 100# digital scale, but that does not mean they do not make one.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    the scales i use are a knock off of the boga grips w/ a very similar styling actually. They weigh up to 26 lbs (i haven't really caught anything close when i've had it w/ me, i stupidly left it in the car when i caught my PB channel this past fall). As far as accuracy for it, im not really sure... i know it weighed a friends dog (he was wearing a harness and hooked it on to that, don't worry i wouldn't hurt a dog) at 14lbs when he weighs 14 lbs so i can only assume its accurate... I also have a cheapy spring one (the one i had w/ me when i caught my PB channel) but that only goes up to 12 lbs or so.

All the digital ones i've had seemed to work great, but they were off when i weighed lead on them... one said 8 oz of lead weighed 5 oz... another weighed a 5# weight as 3# 5oz... so i don't trust that brand anymore...im sure there are good digi's out there but i'd rather have an analog....

Oh and i believe IGFA's reg on digis is not that it weigh it accurately, but more that it present the same weighted object as the same weight consistantly... so they allow it to be off, just not inconsistant...

12. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have weighed a 62lber with 50lb Rapala scales and found them to be accurate. I would like a more capable pair for when I catch that 80lber. No mistakes.

13. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I have a Rapala 50# scale and it's very accurate.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I also have a 50# rapala, but went over 50#'s twice with it. I have since bought a 100# shimano spring scale to see how close they are to eachother on my next big fish. Hopefully the rapala isnt broken.

15. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have not seen digital scales that go up to 100#s and i have searched high and low. bass pro does offer a spring scale that goes up to 125#s and cabelas has a 150# one.

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    this scale thing leads to dead fish .....if i catch what i think is a record fish aint no way im cpr'n it ......in ky it would have to be well over a hundred pound fish and the biggest scale ive got goes to 50# dalema release and hope he wasnt record or take the chance and wait for officail scale and hope the fish lives long enuf to release spring scale arent official my repala 50# digital is someone needs to come up with affordable 200# digital scale

17. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I just got a Rapala lock and weigh, cool, but not digital

18. Gonzo_Joe

Gonzo_Joe New Member

State:
    Dowling Park, Florida
    Cabela's sells an Electro Samson digital hanging scale that goes up to 100 lb, but it costs a hunert bucks.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  20. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I just purchased the Berkly digital #50lb scale.
    cant wait to catch some fish to try it out.
    thanks
    Larry