What kind of rod holder would you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by three_rivers, Jan 28, 2006.

1. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    After fishing last year with a rod holder i made, i'm ready to open up the deck and mount rod holders. I'm looking for recommendations on your rod holders. I'm considering the Cabela's rodholders so if any of you guys has used them i'd sure like to hear from you. Any info would be apprecated!

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use Drift master rod holders myself and I really like them but I have another kind thats made just for DuraCraft boat and they work just as well. Something in the drift master style will work great.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I got my Bee Ready holders installed over the last few days and I'm really impressed.

Cabelas rod holders are certainly nice. But they're also ridiculously expensive.

4. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Drift masters Danny! look on ebay theres a guy that makes them for cheaper than you can buy them. Lots of different styles out there, But I for one like the drift master style.

5. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

I was born with two, The Right and The Left!
    I can put them on any boat with little trouble and the mounting hardware is included! :)

Seriously the Driftmaster :cool: or any facsimle thereof is perfect, anything else is just that! anything else!

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've a scotty rod holder and a tite-loc (its almost like the driftmaster and of the same quality. Of the two, the scotty is the better rod hold. Take a look at them and the RAM holders, both are extremely popular with the salt boys so they must hold up. There is no perfect rod holder, only the one that works best for you and the type of fishing you do.

7. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I guess i should of said why i liked the cabelas. It shows on the video that you can move without loosing one of your rods. If i went with a driftmaster would the rod and reel stay seated while motoring? I would like it that way if i ever considered tourney fishing.

Thanks a bunch fellas,
    Danny

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    To be honest with ya Danny I would say no. I love the driftmaster holders for fishin, but I would not trust them for securein my rods while flyin down the river. Maybe we can get DH to do an experiment with them. LOL!

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    has anybody ever used the BERKLEY QUICK SET ROD HOLDER .Fished with another member in his boat, he had 4 of the instlled on his boat. I liked how easy and fast they were to use, just not sure about 20lb+ flathead hitting on it. Just bought 4 for my boat from CC and may buy more if these work out

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I put two berkley, easy set on my boat I realy like them , a buddy seen them and hes got one now. Their the easeyest, rod holder to use,
    Iam also wondering, about a 20 lb, plus blue slamming the rod down, Ill know this spring, If they pass the test I wont use anything else.
    Got mine, from catfish connection,

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Scotty and Ram make similar rod holders to that Berkely. They'll hold against a 20lb cat.

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    check out the DOWN-EAST site, they make clamp on or bolt on holders that have catfish written all over them. im puttin four of em on my 16ft. lyman i am restoring.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Let me help a little.Down East makes a great rodholder that is simplicity itself to use.They make them in two sizes for normal rods and saltwater or bigger handle rods.I first saw them on a guides boat at Santee and loved them because one problem with the driftmasters is if a big fish really weighs in it can be hard to get the rod out of the holder,particularly for women and children.I have used mine for ten years with no problems except I bent a pin on one and recommended to the company that they use a bigger pin.They did that and asked me to send all 14 of mine back to the factory and they replaced the part with new ones at no cost.Actually they sent me 14 top parts so I wouldn't have to go without and thenI sent my old ones back.I learned a hard lesson about Driftmaster type rodholders with rods in them while motoring.I forgot to lock the anti reverse on one of my PENN 7500 spinning reels and the weight pulled itself down to the water as we bounced along in a pontoon.Soon all the line was pulled out and when the end of the line came it promptly pulled the rod out of the holder.200$ lesson.:sad: :mad: :confused: Never leave rods in the holders when moving long distances or at high spped.Short hops setting up a new drift etc is ok IF you can see all of them.:)

14. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have six Cabellas' rod holders on my boat.They are real sturdy,but I have a problem that two of my pole handles are too lagge to fit into the sleeves.I wish that they were a litter larger diameter.

BILL

15. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have six Cabellas holders on my boat.They work great but I have problems with a couple of rod handles not fitting into the sleeves.Wish they were just a little larger in diameter.

BILL

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

Danny,

I bought some of those drift master copies off e-bay and I like them a lot. I think I paid 32.00 for six rodholers and they also came with the base mounts. They work just as good as the real thing for a lot less. They are also big enough to hold a thicker rod such as a tiger rod.

17. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    The berkleys seem to be pretty strong. Had a 32 lb blue put the rod tip in the water before I could get to the rod. It held till I got it out.
    Ask Tristan, he's got that boat now. I liked them because they are so easy to adjust.

18. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Guys, this was exactly what i was looking for! There are so many rod holders out on the market today that its hard to know where to start. I'll go back and take a look at all of these. Now at least i know more about whats on the market and got some great advice on all of them! Thanks again.
    Danny

19. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    I would have to say the Berkley quick sets are the best for , I have had three differant types on my boat and the Berkley's are the best, all in one motion as fast as you can grab the rod it will come out with no hang up at all , I would highly recomend them.

20. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cabelas make good rod holders the quickdraws are pretty nice as well as the other hard plastic models. That is what i prefer