What kind of river gear do you use guys use in Orgeon

Discussion in 'OREGON RIVER TALK' started by shortshank, May 23, 2006.

1. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    What is your favorite rod & reel combination for the Columbia? What about the Nehalem, Sandy, Hood, Deschutes, Clatskanie, and all those other fine rivers? I know you guys have some stories you are sitting on, That Salmon, Steelhead, Trout, Sturgeon, what ever your fishing for, what ever you like to use to catch-em.
    Don

2. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    When we fished from the bank at mcnary dam, I had a diawa 400 with 40 lb maxima line. I used a 6 m lamiglass 12.5'. We use a large hook but can't remember the size..it was about as long as my finger. The weight was a 4oz pyramid with welding rods polking out of the four corners of the weight. I poured my own back then. But then you could use eel too. We either used Northern Pike minnow cut bait or Roll mop pickeled harring..

3. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I don't do much bank fishing but in my boat I use my Penn 209 reels on MH/&H 7ft. 2 piece Surf Rods. I bought a new CZH60 and put it on a Quantum Blue Runner. I have a matched pair of both rods but only one of the CZH60 so I use another 209 on the Quantum rod. I bought another new reel with a line counter built in but has not arrived yet. I use my ABU6000 on a 7'6" Hellbender Glass Rod for river fishing Stealhead. I see Penn has a new reel out with 6 ball bearings that is supposed to outcast everything. I may need a new reel?
    Don

4. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    I am about ready to over haul my setup for catfish. these little trout poles scare me a bit when I get a 6 or 11 lber on them...they creek and pop.

I think I will look at the one you are talking about, the 6 bearing one...thanks for the tip

5. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    From the wall in oregon city up to the holes below Mc Nary I have used an old rod from G I Joes Called a Tuff Tip 11.5' coupled to a penn 320 GT and had from the smallest of shakers to the 12+ footer's and haven 't had a bit of trouble with either! As a matter of fact I'm down in Arizona at the moment and just bought another 320 GT for catfishin. I can't say enough about those reels Their GREATTTTT....!!!!

6. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    Sounds great,
    I think I will research that setup on the net...thanks

7. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Kemp forget the Penn 175. Man over in the REEL section that got filled full of lead. The Penn 209, 309, 320GTI has all the horses you'll ever need. I've got tons of Penn reels and I have personally put them through their paces. Not 1 is for sale. Penn 10, 90, 109, 209, 309, 320GTI, I think the other is a Penn 50, I can't remember for sure. They all work as good as the day I took them out of the box. All had to earn their keep in there own time, all have proved worthy. Let us know what you decide.
    Don