what kind of release if any

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by switchback, Sep 18, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alright guys i was wandering what kind of realease you shoot with or if you shoot fingers? I use a tru ball stinger and absolutely love it, but i also practice with fingers just in case i loose my release on the way to the stand even though i put it on on the way out the door. I have learned that even though you try to keep your release with you at all times you still can forget it, so i started practicing without it just in case and am proud to say if i ever do forget it and get a shot im comfortable taking a shot out to 35 yards with fingers on my Mathews Switchback.

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Well i have two releases that i take with me. My favorite is a Scott Wildcat, my other one is made by H&H Archery Products im not sure what its called but it used to be my dads and its always in my bow case just incase i loose my other one somewhere.

Good Luck this year!!!!

3. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    swichback, what kind of rest do you use? Shooting fingers puts a horizontal force on the string at release as the string moves over the tips of your fingers, this force kicks the arrow to the right and then it kicks left as it contacts the bow or the rest for a righthanded shooter and this allows the fletchings to clear the rest with out contact (ie. recurve bows and compounds with berger button rest). Release aids work on a vertical force and push down on the arrow at release (ie. TM hunter style rests and dropaways). The only rest style you may get the best of both world might be a whiskerbisciut.
    Back to the question, I strap on my little mongoose release before leaving for the stand that way I always have it with me when I get to the stand. Good luck hunting, and I'll be waiting to see your post with one of those giant illinois bucks.

4. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    well you guessed i use the whisker biscut, and as far as the giant illinois bucks ive come close more than a few times just havnt closed the deal yet. i hunt on the ground and have only came to full draw about three times on something bigger than a spike, one dropped under my shot barely i got a nice hand full of hair off of him, and the other two i misjudged my yardage because i was sitting along an open field with no reference points and no range finder and barely grazed both low but dead on and both wer seen later one still doing great the other was in my buddies scope it was a really nice 8 point needless to say he fell to the 20 gauge at 110 yards. The good thing about it is that his wound would not have killed him and the other one was seen chasing a doe a full bore but the guy that saw him said that he wouldnt die either. Hopefully this is my year the buddy that killed the 8 pointer that i shot at with my bow has about 25 bucks on camera ranging from spikes all the way up to well into the 160+ range so im ready. But i can honestly say that as long as i get meat for the feezer im happy,,, with that said does better take cover

5. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    i use a scott little bitty goose i love it because it's smooth and it's easy to conseal if your not using it you can tuck it in under the strap that goes around your wrist

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

I bought a tru-ball stinger also. Havent used it yet, still got no ammo. Next week ill be practicing.

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    its an awesome release i love it, hope it treats you as good as it has me

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I use a Scott Silverhorn release for hunting and a Chocolate Addiction back tension release for off-season practice.

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    tru-ball makes great releases. you will really like it. very smooth!!

10. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've tried a bunch of releases and settled on Winn several years ago. Don't have to change draw length, fully adjustable and falls right into place without looking to put on the string.

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    For years I just used a leather work glove. Now I use a tab sometimes, too.